Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
Swamps and Prairies
Camera: K3 Photo Location: Mostly Florida ISO: 100 
Posted By: slowpez, 03-12-2015, 06:54 AM

Well, we had a really interesting trip this winter. It was our first long one after illness kept us home most of last year. Second week out my computer died. It was sudden and permanent. Back-up disks were useless. This left me without a way to edit photos. Frustrating. Hubby decided I needed a Mac this time out so off we went to the Apple store. After transferring my photos onto my new computer from an external HD, I promptly formatted it and then discovered that all my photos for 2014 were on the formatted disk. I forgot to transfer them. That was upsetting enough until I managed to crash my new Mac. After calling their help line, VERY IMPRESSIVE, getting my computer back up and running and being given recovery suggestions for the photos I lost, things started looking up. I did manage to recover most, though not all, the photos. Lost mostly the JPGs but the RAW files remained.
Anyhoo, here are a couple from what we are calling Swamps and Prairies. These are from Payne's Prairie in Florida with more to come later.

We come to Payne's Prairie to see these guys but the rain table was so high that their normal roosting place was flooded. Found a lot of them hanging out at U of F cattle training facility. There was a Whooping Crane with them one evening also which was a real treat as they are pretty rare.

Views: 981
03-12-2015, 07:30 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some great shooting there! Glad you were able to save your raw files.
03-12-2015, 02:53 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
Some great shooting there! Glad you were able to save your raw files.
I am glad too. Thanks.
03-12-2015, 04:36 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Lovely bird shots. Sorry to hear of your dramas both computer related and health. Both look better?

03-12-2015, 05:21 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice shots here Susan, this happened to us also but most of our photos I keep in Google Plus but it was a pain getting my editing programs on the new computer. Looking forward to your summer travels.
03-12-2015, 07:05 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

some nice shots, love the light in the first one, cheers
03-12-2015, 07:09 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Thank you so much for posting these, Susan! I'm so glad you were able to make it down to Florida this year. I always get so nostalgic when I look at your photos. Many a day did I spend at Payne's Prairie when I lived in Gainesville. Your photos truly capture the beauty of the land and animals there.

03-12-2015, 09:08 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AussieTrev Quote
Lovely bird shots. Sorry to hear of your dramas both computer related and health. Both look better?
Much better thanks and we are looking forward to spending more time on the road.

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Nice shots here Susan, this happened to us also but most of our photos I keep in Google Plus but it was a pain getting my editing programs on the new computer. Looking forward to your summer travels.
At least we already had our itinerary planned Bob. Made things much easier for the coming summer. i was able to upload my editing programs except for photoshop which I will miss but, in the grand scheme of things, it could be worse.

QuoteOriginally posted by Cee Cee Quote
some nice shots, love the light in the first one, cheers
Thanks CeeCee.

QuoteOriginally posted by K McCall Quote
Thank you so much for posting these, Susan! I'm so glad you were able to make it down to Florida this year. I always get so nostalgic when I look at your photos. Many a day did I spend at Payne's Prairie when I lived in Gainesville. Your photos truly capture the beauty of the land and animals there.
Thank you so much. Payne's Prairie has become one of our mainstays especially when the cranes are there.
03-13-2015, 07:26 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Now these photos are just top notch, Susan. These represent the kind of nature photography I enjoy seeing - the creativity of nature not simply recorded but enhanced by creative photography. I think the last one is especially good to my eye.

Jer
03-16-2015, 07:56 AM   #10
Veteran Member

As always, wonderful pictures of wildlife! Especially liked the third.
03-16-2015, 08:42 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Now these photos are just top notch, Susan. These represent the kind of nature photography I enjoy seeing - the creativity of nature not simply recorded but enhanced by creative photography. I think the last one is especially good to my eye.

Jer
QuoteOriginally posted by Konstanta Quote
As always, wonderful pictures of wildlife! Especially liked the third.
Thank you both so much.