Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
A Fountain and Rye....
Posted By: mtnbearhug, 06-02-2008, 09:55 PM

This fountain is at my sisters house... I can't decide if I like the close up or the whole pic best... I love the fountain.. its just darling... What do you think??

Then I tried to take a picture of this wild rye growing along the fence.. but not sure I like it too much... any thoughts???

Any feedback would be great on these... how to make them better??? of maybe I should just start over.. ??? Which ever it is.. let me know..

Thanks, Kim
Views: 2,871
06-02-2008, 10:16 PM   #2
Igilligan

Hi Kim,
I like the close up of the fountain. It works better for me. Next time you shoot it, open up the lens some more to blur that background. The exif says it is at ISO 1600, was it dark? Just wondering why it went so high.

I love the colors and texture of the rye... the lower rail of the fence is very nice too. If you can shoot the grass again, take a ton of shots at different angles to either work in the upper rail or loose it all together.
When I have tried to shoot grasses I have taken 75 shots to get one that I like... talk about mind numbing pp selection... haha

edit... actually I have re-looked and I kinda like the second rail...

Last edited by Igilligan; 06-02-2008 at 10:31 PM.
06-02-2008, 10:26 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hey Kim I too like the close up great rye pics too. Ilike them very much
06-03-2008, 12:10 AM   #4
Damn Brit

Hi Kim, I like the second shot better but I would like to see it cropped from the top so you can't see the fountain. Might give the impression of real rain drops. A different perspective might be nicer too, maybe from lower down , so that the base of the fountain isn't in view either.

The rye shots are nice but the rye has to compete for prominence with the rail and also the upper rail is a distraction. A lower perspective, to leave out the upper rail and maybe sighting along the rail would give a nice look maybe. This might also give a nice diagonal for composing.
The combination of textures is really nice and the color looks good.
Gary

06-03-2008, 01:12 AM   #5
axl
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Kim,
once again nice shots. From the two of the fountain, I like the close up better. It's just nicer shot all aound...
As for the rye, have you tried it in BW? I think it would look great....
BR
06-03-2008, 05:01 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Closeup is great. If you can shoot it again, I'd like to see how it would look with a long exposure.
06-03-2008, 08:43 AM   #7
Veteran Member

That is a cute little fountain. I like the second one best because it isolates the subject from the background better. I might also try a few shots with a more shallow depth of field, and maybe a slow shutter speed as well to see how that looks. It's fun to try different things and see what you get. I like the second rye shot best, nice colors and textures. It looks like a good subject to explore further. Nice work.

06-03-2008, 08:12 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback..

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
Hi Kim,
I like the close up of the fountain. It works better for me. Next time you shoot it, open up the lens some more to blur that background. The exif says it is at ISO 1600, was it dark? Just wondering why it went so high.

I love the colors and texture of the rye... the lower rail of the fence is very nice too. If you can shoot the grass again, take a ton of shots at different angles to either work in the upper rail or loose it all together.
When I have tried to shoot grasses I have taken 75 shots to get one that I like... talk about mind numbing pp selection... haha

edit... actually I have re-looked and I kinda like the second rail...
Thanks Gus for the ideas.. the iso 1600 was a finger slip of mine that I didn't notice until a little later.. I thought I had put it on a range but then must of hit the button to much and set it on 1600 instead.. dang the luck...

I didnt really do much PP with the Rye shots.... just added a bit more contrast and tad of sharpening.. but I can't imagine having 75 of them.. ugh.. LOL.. I will try to shoot more and different angles though..

QuoteOriginally posted by rmtagg Quote
Hey Kim I too like the close up great rye pics too. Ilike them very much
Thanks Rosemary.... Im glad you enjoyed them..

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Hi Kim, I like the second shot better but I would like to see it cropped from the top so you can't see the fountain. Might give the impression of real rain drops. A different perspective might be nicer too, maybe from lower down , so that the base of the fountain isn't in view either.

The rye shots are nice but the rye has to compete for prominence with the rail and also the upper rail is a distraction. A lower perspective, to leave out the upper rail and maybe sighting along the rail would give a nice look maybe. This might also give a nice diagonal for composing.
The combination of textures is really nice and the color looks good.
Gary
Gary.. I like your idea of the taking out the fountian and just leaving the drops.. I will have to try that. I thought about sitting on the ground and looking up towards the fountain but guest starting to arrive at the party I was at so I had to go..

I agree the upper rail is a distraction. Thanks for the comments and the ideas..
06-03-2008, 08:16 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I appreciate the feedback.. :)

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
Hi Kim, once again nice shots. From the two of the fountain, I like the close up better. It's just nicer shot all aound... As for the rye, have you tried it in BW? I think it would look great.... BR
Thanks axl.. I appreciate the kind words.. I like the close up better because it allows the focus to be on what the statue is instead of the statue as a whole..

I will try the Rye as a BW and post them later.... it might be pretty interesting..

QuoteOriginally posted by KrisK10D Quote
Closeup is great. If you can shoot it again, I'd like to see how it would look with a long exposure.
A long exposure would get more of the drops in it for sure.. I might have to try that.. Thanks Kris..

QuoteOriginally posted by Fritz Quote
That is a cute little fountain. I like the second one best because it isolates the subject from the background better. I might also try a few shots with a more shallow depth of field, and maybe a slow shutter speed as well to see how that looks. It's fun to try different things and see what you get. I like the second rye shot best, nice colors and textures. It looks like a good subject to explore further. Nice work.
Thanks Fred for comments and the ideas... I can't wait to get back to my sisters and try out some of the ideas I have gotten from everyone.. The Rye is calling for a belly crawl I think..

Thanks again everyone for your wonderful comments and ideas.. . I greatly appreciate them.. Kim
06-03-2008, 08:25 PM   #10
Damn Brit

Hey Kim, did you try from the other side of the fence?
Gary
06-03-2008, 08:28 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
LOL

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Hey Kim, did you try from the other side of the fence?
Gary
Because the grass is greener on the other side.. Jk.... I thought about it but no didn't.. I wanted the fence to show and was afraid that grass would hide it to much from the other direction.. but when I go back I will see...

Thanks. Kim
06-03-2008, 09:40 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mtnbearhug Quote

Thanks Fred for comments and the ideas... I can't wait to get back to my sisters and try out some of the ideas I have gotten from everyone.. The Rye is calling for a belly crawl I think..
I think you are right about the belly crawl! That's what I'd do.....
06-04-2008, 01:34 AM   #13
Inactive Account

I definitely like the upclose fountain shot more -- you have more bokeh and the freezing of the droplets is more pronounced -- great shot !

As for the rye -- try perhaps shooting even with the fence railing (so yes, maybe belly crawl!), to give it more of a vertical perspective, and perhaps more of the fence in the background disappearing into the distance for an alternate composure, though you may lose focus on the rye depending on how it turns out.

Great shots!
06-04-2008, 03:51 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Very cute fountain Kim. I like the close up personally. Very nice DOF.
06-04-2008, 04:37 AM   #15
Veteran Member

i dig the fountain pics. try a cl-p filter when shooting water, it slows the light down enough for a subtle motion blur that can look great.