Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Boreal Chickadee
Lens: DA* 300 f/4 Camera: Pentax K3 Photo Location: Prince George BC ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: MikePerham, 03-15-2015, 09:36 PM

Just picked up a new Gitzo Mountaineer GT3542L tripod and wanted to try it out. This is the time of year we call "breakup" so not much subject matter. This Chickadee shot in my back yard perched in the bush adjacent to the bird feeder.

Views: 772
03-16-2015, 06:11 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MikePerham Quote
Just picked up a new Gitzo Mountaineer GT3542L tripod and wanted to try it out. This is the time of year we call "breakup" so not much subject matter. This Chickadee shot in my back yard perched in the bush adjacent to the bird feeder.
I can see why you thought this was a Boreal Chickadee. The cap colour does have a brownish cast, but Boreal has a much paler brown head and its flanks are rust-coloured. It looks like post-processing is responsible for making the cap brownish, given the lack of detail on the cheek and the washed out flanks.

Here is a pic of a Boreal Chickadee.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
03-16-2015, 06:38 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Edit: according to pete-tarmigan
QuoteQuote:
Mr. Perham's photo was taken in Canada and the bird depicted is a P. atricapillus (Black-capped Chickadee)
I initially supposed it was a Poecile montana which is a "Mésange boréale" in french (the literral translation of Boreal Chickadee) but the Boreal Chickadee is Poecile hudsonicus ("Mésange à tête brune" in french). Weird common naming.

Last edited by Glorfindelrb; 03-16-2015 at 08:10 AM.
03-16-2015, 06:57 AM   #4
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cool, different birds same name... one out west, one in the east. Who knew? I didn't know about the bird and definitely never have seen one, but it does remind me, I need some Boreal Chickadee images.

Last edited by normhead; 03-16-2015 at 07:18 AM.
03-16-2015, 07:16 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

He is a handsome bird whatever he is.
03-16-2015, 07:58 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Glorfindelrb Quote
This is a Poecile montana which is a "Mésange boréale" in french (the literral translation of Boreal Chickadee) but the Boreal Chickadee is Poecile hudsonicus ("Mésange à tête brune" in french). Weird common naming.
Mr. Perham's photo was taken in Canada and the bird depicted is a P. atricapillus (Black-capped Chickadee). Poecile montana (Willow Tit in English) occurs only in Europe and Asia. These species are two of several species of Poecile with black cap and black bib in North America, Europe and Asia (e.g., Mexican Chickadee P. sclateri, Sombre Tit P. lugubris, Carolina Chickadee P. carolinensis).

Last edited by pete-tarmigan; 03-16-2015 at 06:58 PM. Reason: omission
03-16-2015, 08:14 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Ok thanks for the correction. I don't know anything when it comes to American or Asian birds, should have check the location.