Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Posers
Lens: DA 300 mm Camera: K-3 Photo Location: Everglades ISO: 50 
Posted By: slowpez, 03-16-2015, 01:43 PM

These guys all wanted to be photographed.

I'm not sure what this guy had gotten in to but he sure needed a bath in the worst way.

Fish, the other white meat.

Views: 629
03-16-2015, 01:54 PM   #2
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you hadn't put a caption on the last one I would have missed the fish because the facial pose is so striking. Great bird shots as always.

ps. Do you tend to use TAv mode? You seem to stick at f8 and 1/1250 and let the ISO range, if these photos are typical of your shooting style.

I tried to capture a few little critters using a much cheaper lens (F100-300) and I'm still getting a feel for the settings to use (https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/290320-nature-few-bird-feeder.html)
03-16-2015, 02:05 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
If you hadn't put a caption on the last one I would have missed the fish because the facial pose is so striking. Great bird shots as always.

ps. Do you tend to use TAv mode? You seem to stick at f8 and 1/1250 and let the ISO range, if these photos are typical of your shooting style.

I tried to capture a few little critters using a much cheaper lens (F100-300) and I'm still getting a feel for the settings to use (https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/290320-nature-few-bird-feeder.html)
I do use those settings as you noted. I have a user mode set to keep the settings at f8, 1/1250 and continuous mode with center focus. That way, I can go up or done on the speed but I rarely mess with the f-stop. I rarely use a tripod for birds although I am never without one and use it for everything else. Just never got the hang of it. I also can't focus manually, my eyesight sucks. The 1/1250 will stop most action and may be overkill on the larger birds but at least I am ready for anything that flies by.
03-16-2015, 03:34 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice Photos. Thanks for sharing,

03-16-2015, 08:16 PM   #5
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Superb shooting! You are nailing some fantastic shots! Otis was glad to see that last one was a "Fish Hawk", not a squirrel killer!

Regards!
03-16-2015, 10:54 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Great shots. Love the Osprey.
03-17-2015, 12:12 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TimR Quote
Nice Photos. Thanks for sharing,
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Superb shooting! You are nailing some fantastic shots! Otis was glad to see that last one was a "Fish Hawk", not a squirrel killer!

Regards!
QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
Great shots. Love the Osprey.
Thanks to all of you. Rupert, tell Otis we don't tolerate squirrel killers here except when we have a hankerin' for some stew.