Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

The Thing in My Apple Juice
Posted By: Tamia, 03-16-2015, 04:53 PM

Calling all biologists, botanists, mycologists... Though, then again, I'm not quite sure what exactly this thing is. Back story: Had half a gallon of commercial apple juice (not cider) in the fridge, opened in the first week of January this year. Haven't touched it in three weeks. Tonight I pulled the half-empty container from the refrigerator, shook it up, opened it and sniffed to be sure it wasn't moldy, had no "off" smell, so poured out a glass, only to have this splash into the glass (the cotton swab gives scale):

I saved the foreign body with a little apple juice in a glass jar, and discarded the rest of the original bottle. Later, I decanted the body into a white plastic container (a little apple juice came along with it) and shot a couple photos. Here, I'm pressing on the body with a bamboo skewer, not piercing it:

Its form is flattened without the support of fluid, but in fluid it hovers near the bottom (not swimming!) and resembles a fat donut with a deeply dimpled middle.

I have NO idea what this is. Before I section it to look at it under the microscope, I thought I'd see if anyone here has a clue what it might be. Ideas?
Views: 2,005
03-17-2015, 08:15 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's congealed pectin. That juice was getting ready to ferment. It happens at some point. You should leave it in there. Might end up with the apple juice equivalent of white lightning...:P

03-19-2015, 04:29 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
It's congealed pectin. That juice was getting ready to ferment. It happens at some point. You should leave it in there. Might end up with the apple juice equivalent of white lightning...:P
What a thought, Mags! So who wants to come to the party?
03-19-2015, 09:36 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

just a little protein with your drink Tamia. Do like I did to my brothers when we were young, "taste it and see if it's OK".
03-21-2015, 06:16 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
just a little protein with your drink Tamia. Do like I did to my brothers when we were young, "taste it and see if it's OK".
We had been drinking the juice while this was "growing," I think. Still alive and kicking! (I've eaten weirder things. Like flipper pie.)