Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 fps
Posted By: mel, 06-03-2008, 10:48 AM

or approximately, so states the manual.

It's fun to see what kind of sequences I find after shooting one of my sons' games. This is the goalkeeper of my 15 year old's team. I'm keeper for one of my indoor teams so I'm always happy to get some keeper-shots.

The first three were shot sequentially in continuous shooting mode. The keeper was sliding. The last one (which was actually the next frame anyway but some time had passed) I included just because I'm amazed at the amount of air this kid can get (he's about 5'-6" I think). My son was on the field at the time and he said it was a pretty spectacular save (off a corner kick I think?) from the side view and too bad I couldn't have been standing where he was for the shot. I think the refs would not have approved.

But you know, Pentax is no good for sports.

(we're blue)
and Cardinal - this one is at Tyrrell.

Last edited by mel; 06-03-2008 at 11:35 AM. Reason: typo
Views: 2,884
06-03-2008, 11:31 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
All great shots. I really like the 3-shot sequence.....nice recovery by the keeper.
06-03-2008, 01:45 PM   #3
mel
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by maxwell1295 Quote
All great shots. I really like the 3-shot sequence.....nice recovery by the keeper.
Thanks.
It was a nice recovery. He was sliding to put himself between the attacker and the ball and overshot it a hair. We were all holding our collective breath on the sidelines.

These guys just finished regular season play and are undefeated. Now it's just tournament time. I'm sad because now I'll have to find something new to shoot on my weekends.
06-03-2008, 02:07 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Well done Mel, the sequence was right on. Oh, I like the wink on "Pentax is no good for sports".
thanks for sharing.

Cheers,

Rene

Last edited by Rener; 06-03-2008 at 05:30 PM.
06-03-2008, 05:58 PM   #5
Damn Brit

Yeah, I think it's time you went and bought a N***n Mel.
Gary
06-03-2008, 06:18 PM   #6
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OPTMEKX& Quote
Well done Mel, the sequence was right on. Oh, I like the wink on "Pentax is no good for sports".
thanks for sharing.

Cheers,

Rene
Thanks. I have so much fun at these games. And I am finally able to keep my mouth shut on the sidelines which the coach greatly appreciates (this particular coach and I were rival coaches in a younger division, but rival in a friendly way. He never forgot that my team beat his once and he never let it happen again).

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Yeah, I think it's time you went and bought a N***n Mel.
Gary

Yeah or maybe one of those other one cameras whose name escapes me but I think it maybe starts with a C?
06-03-2008, 10:06 PM   #7
Veteran Member

hey hey hey, don't you know that pentax cant do sports since its only 3fps and not the 10 of the MK3 lol
Nice timing

06-04-2008, 03:16 AM   #8
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BrendanPK Quote
hey hey hey, don't you know that pentax cant do sports since its only 3fps and not the 10 of the MK3 lol
Nice timing
Thanks!

Yeah I guess I'd better stop hanging around the sports fields huh.
06-04-2008, 03:48 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Wonderful series of shots Mel. Great stop action. My 8 year old grand daughter is just getting into soccor. She loves it. So I'm sure I will have some similar shots to display. )
06-04-2008, 04:22 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great shots mel, wonderful series of the save. And that guy can sure grab air, and you caught him perfectly. Nice shooting.

NaCl(if you shoot all the games this well you must be VERY popular with all the parents)H2O
06-04-2008, 05:16 AM   #11
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Techiechick Quote
Wonderful series of shots Mel. Great stop action. My 8 year old grand daughter is just getting into soccor. She loves it. So I'm sure I will have some similar shots to display. )
Thanks. Some of my favorite shots are ones of kids tripping over each other like they do in the younger divisions. It's also surprising what some of the u-littles are capable of.

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Great shots mel, wonderful series of the save. And that guy can sure grab air, and you caught him perfectly. Nice shooting.

NaCl(if you shoot all the games this well you must be VERY popular with all the parents)H2O

Thanks! Although I play keeper I can't lift myself off the ground like that at my age. I tear things. Diving is fine. Gravity is at work there.

I post the game shots on flickr and then the parents go there to download the ones they want. It's funny because the evening of and day after the games there is a huge increase in traffic to my flickr page, anticipating the pictures. I had to let them know I come home with 500-600 shots from the game and it takes a couple days to get them sorted, fixed and posted. Some parents enthusiatically love them, others seem indifferent. Oh well. I enjoy doing it. But I feel a serious addiction to sports photography coming on. I hope I don't turn into one of those parents who force their kids into sport only so I can go take pictures of it.
06-04-2008, 06:11 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Excellent series Mel nice shots. We have several soccer fields here - my kids are out of that phase , I so want to go and capture some sports shots , but unfortunatley in this day and age I would be arrested (imagine a stranger on the sidelines with his Bigma ....) sign of the times , just too bad.

anyway back to you - love the sequence and yeah who says white men can't jump
06-04-2008, 06:40 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
Thanks.
It was a nice recovery. He was sliding to put himself between the attacker and the ball and overshot it a hair. We were all holding our collective breath on the sidelines.

These guys just finished regular season play and are undefeated. Now it's just tournament time. I'm sad because now I'll have to find something new to shoot on my weekends.

Nice shots.

How far away where you when you took theses shots?

cheers
06-04-2008, 09:28 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
Thanks.

You should attend the Shendoah Park weekend the end of this month. I think you could teach people a thing or two. I got a "kitchen pass" for Saturday. I hate to think what that pass will cost me while I'm gone.
06-04-2008, 02:05 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Nice series, Mel, just the right use of sequential shoot! That last one is either a very fast move to another direction or an addition