Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
A little rain last night????
Posted By: Photo Tramp, 09-29-2006, 05:29 AM

The first photos were earlier photos of the back yard (normal river conditions).

The next set are what happened within the the last 3 hrs.

Ten Min. ago, I guess I won't be going out for a walk today. (but this is normal??? )

I'm having fun later cleaning out the basement. Any volunteers???

Good Shooting.
Cheers: David

Last edited by Adam; 09-29-2006 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Double Post Merged
Views: 2,548
09-29-2006, 05:35 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow! You definitely got hit! Hope there isn't much damage in the basement.
09-29-2006, 05:47 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
a little rain last night

Thanks Carol,
No damage to the baesment, we don't have anything down there, because of this. It happens several times a year, some times worse than others. It's just a mess of mud and fish to clean out. (well the Bass and walleye fill the freezer so thats a plus) Last time I had a Snapping Turtle that didn't want to leave. (man what a fight we had. but he did make good soup

Good Shooting.
09-29-2006, 05:51 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
a little rain last night???

Any body need some fresh fish? I got about 30 nice size small mouth bass in the basement.

Good Shooting.

09-29-2006, 12:33 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow- must be a lot of work.

I merged the threads for you, BTW.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-29-2006, 03:18 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
A little rain last night

QuoteOriginally posted by Mo Quote
Wow- must be a lot of work.

I merged the threads for you, BTW.
Adam, Thank you so much for doing the merge for me, I really didn't know what I did to cause it except I went into edit one of the photos with another, and lost the edited thread I was working in.

As far as having a lot of work to do here after the rain, all I can say is NOPE. All I ever do is hose down the cement in the bassement and hose off the parking spaces for the Appartments. OH and pick up the wild life off the basement floor. Other then that we really don't have to do so much. the river receded back into it's bank about Noon today. and that is always the case. It comes up fast and goes back just as fast, once the river crests. I even had time for a walk with the DL.

Good Shooting.
09-29-2006, 03:53 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Photo Tramp Quote
Any body need some fresh fish? I got about 30 nice size small mouth bass in the basement.

Good Shooting.
Hell yes! If we hook up this weekend, put some on ice for me!

(Been a while since I gutted a fish, though...)

09-29-2006, 04:17 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
A little rain last night

Hi Sean,
wish you would have said something earlier, I threw them back in the river, so they can wash back in the next flood. (They should be bigger by then.)
I sent you an e-mail about Sat, and wondered if you got it?
How is Sunday for you and Mark? Let me know.

Good Shooting.
09-30-2006, 02:33 PM   #9
Veteran Member

A real trooper you are David - must be getting used to it when you say "Nope, not much work"

I also see friendships being developed here - nice to see.
09-30-2006, 06:40 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Whew!

Hi David!

I'm REALLY glad that I read the other replies before replying and the cleanup was 'not much work' and that nothing was damaged. I was afraid from looking at the pictures (excellent by the way) that you were going to have to miss the Gettysburg get-together due to storm damage!
09-30-2006, 07:02 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
A little rain last night

QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
A real trooper you are David - must be getting used to it when you say "Nope, not much work"

I also see friendships being developed here - nice to see.
Well JC., this happens at least twice a year, some times even twice in a month. It's one of those things you learn to live with. We live in an old Mill (year built 1839) Or should I say the warehouse of an old mill. the actual mill is next door and used as a garage and storage. the warehouse was turned into 7 appartments about 30 years ago. The garage or actual mill still has the Mill stone and all working parts in the basement and the actual race. (this is a must, due in part to it is on the historical record here in Lancaster County Pa.) If these items were to be removed the building would have to be torn down to get them out. Living on a flood plain the laws state if you tear down a building you will never be able to rebuild. and the land will revert back to Pre building. This happened to two homes that were built before the law was inacted 30 years ago. During Hurricane Agness these homes only less then 1000 ft. from us were washed away and never able to be rebuilt. These lots are now parking space for the little pub next door (The COVE) (Very fine dinning) In fact the cove has been battered so many times and has been totaly underwater at least 5 times I know of, and our place has been under water to within 1 hallway step of the second floor twice since I've lived here. So this last one wasn't even on the should I keep watch and be ready to leave list. In fact I didn't even bother to shut off the electricity in the basement. (Lightbulbs that were totaly submerced in 8ft of water still burn in the basement as they did while they were under water.(Now that was really neet to see the lights still burning under water.)

So yeah, I can honestly say Nope no damage this time. Last summer I could sit in the house and listen to the watter lapping against the floorboards of our apt. and was very worried when the water level came within 3 inches of coming over the Deck. See the first floor is 22' 4" from the river at normal times. and lucky for us the river crested at 22' 1" that time. this time it crested at 15' Little worry for us.

So you see friendships building do you! well I met Sean and Mark from the DPreview Pentax DSLR forum for a photo shoot a few mounths ago along with Rosco (Alan) and Richard in DC. We had a great time shooting up the Mall and the National Zoo. And we are planing to do it again before Mark goes back to New Mexico, In Gettysburg PA for a Fall Colors Shoot on Sat. Oct. 21st and anyone who can make the shoot is welcome to join us.The directions,and times are listed in General Talk. Hope to see some more there. I know Tracy (photo mom) and family are planing to be there and there are a few others so far. So the invitiation is open to memembers to come and join us for some good shooting and fun getting to know one and other.

So now you know the rest of the story.

Good Shooting.
09-30-2006, 07:16 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photo_mom Quote
Hi David!

I'm REALLY glad that I read the other replies before replying and the cleanup was 'not much work' and that nothing was damaged. I was afraid from looking at the pictures (excellent by the way) that you were going to have to miss the Gettysburg get-together due to storm damage!
Aint no way I'll miss Gettysburg. As long as I can swim to the car and keep the DL dry I will be there. Read my reply to JC. You'll understand.

Good Shooting.
10-01-2006, 06:04 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Hmmm. Would be interesting to see shots of the facade of that mill, warehouse and tavern next door.

Thanks for sharing some of the history.