Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
6 Likes  #1
Pure joy
Lens: 77mm f/1.8 Camera: K-3 Photo Location: Landfill Park, Raleigh SC ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/1000s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: frogoutofwater, 03-18-2015, 09:24 AM

I experienced a dream come true yesterday. I'm in Durham/Raleigh for business and I realized that this is the home of Shannon Johnstone, a photographer who has been photographing the series Landfill Dogs. She brings dogs that are part of the Wake County Animal Shelter (either in the shelter or in foster care) to Landfill Park and photographs them. Before the park became a park, it was a landfill and this is where dogs that were euthanized (because no one stepped up to adopt them) are buried. Despite the somewhat grisly history, this is a beautiful place and her photos are filled with hope and joy. Johnstone has been a significant source of inspiration for my volunteer work as a photographer for animal rescue and rehab groups. You can see some of her work here.

Landfill Dogs

I decided "nothing ventured, nothing gained" and sent her an email, asking if she wanted to meet for a coffee - or if she might have a photo shoot scheduled while I was in the area. And as it turned out, she did have a shoot scheduled last night. And so I got to spend the golden hour last night with three very special beings: Shannon, Giovanni, and his foster mother Lisa. I'm so grateful I was able to share this time with them.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Views: 936
03-18-2015, 09:32 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What a great story and what an inspiration. Thank you for your efforts on behalf of these animals and also that of Ms. Johnstone.
03-18-2015, 11:30 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Love this! Good for you. Very inspiring.
03-18-2015, 12:19 PM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
What a great shot for an inspiring story, lets hope it benefits those who need it...

03-22-2015, 12:28 PM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Amazing photo....and amazing work by Shannon Johnstone. Thanks for sharing!
08-01-2018, 02:11 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by frogoutofwater Quote
I experienced a dream come true yesterday. I'm in Durham/Raleigh for business and I realized that this is the home of Shannon Johnstone, a photographer who has been photographing the series Landfill Dogs. She brings dogs that are part of the Wake County Animal Shelter (either in the shelter or in foster care) to Landfill Park and photographs them. Before the park became a park, it was a landfill and this is where dogs that were euthanized (because no one stepped up to adopt them) are buried. Despite the somewhat grisly history, this is a beautiful place and her photos are filled with hope and joy. Johnstone has been a significant source of inspiration for my volunteer work as a photographer for animal rescue and rehab groups. You can see some of her work here.

Landfill Dogs

I decided "nothing ventured, nothing gained" and sent her an email, asking if she wanted to meet for a coffee - or if she might have a photo shoot scheduled while I was in the area. And as it turned out, she did have a shoot scheduled last night. And so I got to spend the golden hour last night with three very special beings: Shannon, Giovanni, and his foster mother Lisa. I'm so grateful I was able to share this time with them.
As only a dog can express it!
« Together | Lines »