Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Curious George
Posted By: pentaxshooter, 02-03-2007, 01:59 PM

This is an attempt at off-camera flash using the K10D on-camera flash as the controller and a 540 as background/hair light.
K10D, 43mm limited, f4.5, 1/60th, ISO 400, no flash

Any comments, suggestions, etc... welcome

Attached Images

Views: 2,237
02-03-2007, 02:09 PM   #2
Veteran Member

This is a cute photo!

I wonder your camera angle could be placed further to the left as more hair would have that glowing look.

Maybe a bit of touch up with softening brush and enhance the photo with layer mask. It may bring out a bit more atmosphere.

Well done

02-03-2007, 05:31 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Unsuccessful camera angle... The Inclination of a camera in this case completely distracts from the portrait, the sight of the girl "looks" outside of space of a photo... But the mood of the girl is felt...

"Erased a hieroglyph" - new link Photodie
02-03-2007, 05:48 PM   #4
Inactive Account

The lighting certainly worked nicely. As for the angle? I like it. This shot could go either way but the off-beat angle works in this case.

02-03-2007, 08:41 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
What's my Angle?

Actually, I take a lot of my portrait shots at an angle. It's just something I started doing, cause I got bored with the standard straight on shot. sometimes it works, sometimes not.... sometimes, when I'm not paying attention I take the angle the wrong way and it really looks bad.

This is another example of the angle thingie....
Attached Images

02-03-2007, 10:50 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I keep flipping back and forth between the images; what's not flipping is the fact that I like both, and that I can find little fault with either one. Perhaps some slight over-exposure in the dolls face and on the man's arm but not enough to say more than I noticed. Mind you, I'm not a big fan of tilted framing, here it works because of the strong story-telling and that's sufficient to make both images successful.

Considering the accompanying text stating conditions/settings, what caused the tiny catch light in the girls and the dolls eyes?
02-04-2007, 12:52 PM   #7

Original Poster
Flash

This is why EXIF data is so good. I doublechecked and the internal flash WAS on....

I was taking so many photos that day, I forgot which ones were only backlit and which ones had flash.....too much experimenting.

Thank you everyone for all the comments and suggestions. Obviously B&W still lives for many photos. I agree that the color version just doesn't capture the warmth and mood.

02-04-2007, 03:41 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I'm really horrible at composing shots like this. You on the other hand seem to have gotten the hang of it. The child's eyes have got a beautiful sparkle, but I found the background is a touch distracting - maybe a little more blur is required? I like the guitar player shot. Keep shooting and post more!
02-04-2007, 04:18 PM   #9
Inactive Account

... The second photo of "guitar player" too is unsuccessful on a composition - " it would be desirable it to turn " to the right... It is Better "to work" as depth of sharpness, than to turn a camera...

The best regards!
02-04-2007, 05:27 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Well, it may not be successful in your estimation, but I for one like it.! I like it when folks try things that are "outside the box" and maybe break the rules, so to speak. That is one think I kike about photography, the rules are all open to intrepretation!!

Walt
02-04-2007, 08:18 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A nice photo, I do like the lighting it worked well but I am not comfortable with the angled composition.

Take care, Heinrich
02-05-2007, 02:42 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I love it! Look at those eyes, just gorgeous. The angle is great.