Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  
My Big Chicken!
Posted By: Rupert, 03-30-2015, 08:36 AM

He showed up late last week and is still hanging around. He's like a little puppy and follows my every step when I go outside. I have no idea where he came from, or how long he will stay, but he is kind of neat! Otis loves him.....he's run off several stray cats that come around..apparently he has a real hatred for cats. When he goes after one you can hear him for blocks, he gets really angry at the sight of a cat.

Patrolling the fence line...looking for cats!

Regards!
Views: 2,598
03-31-2015, 05:14 PM   #16
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
I guess he really likes that Velveeta!
Chickens aren't noted for having very sophisticated palates.

(Don't mind me. I'm just jealous. I don't have a pet chicken. )

03-31-2015, 07:22 PM   #17
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Chickens aren't noted for having very sophisticated palates.
He didn't get that big butt by being a picky eater!

Surely your wife will let you have a chicken?....unless you are henpecked?

Regards!
04-01-2015, 05:53 AM   #18
Veteran Member

He is a beauty. I'm guessing he's young since I don't see spurs (unless they've been cut). As beautiful as he is now, when he's fully grown, and those tail feathers fill in, he'll be a knockout.

Although it's not common, some people do keep chickens as pets. They each have their own personality. They can also become spoiled. My daughter had a RIR rooster as a pet. She raised him, and he followed her around like a puppy. Sadly whe he was grown and decided he was the king of the hens, his personality changed. My daughter, who was 13 at the time, went to collect eggs, and the rooster, who had always been sweet, flipped out. He chased her out of the pen, next door to my in-laws house, and I found her sitting on top of the swing set, with Chris bowed up & prancing back & forth on the ground below her. We had only been keeping chickens about a year then, and that was our first lesson on roosters. The rooster that was previously in charge never acted mean. But it's something we laugh about now. I'm not trying to scare you, Rupert. Since you don't have any hens, your guy has no one to "protect".

Sometime the next week or two, I'm supposed to go pick up a rooster for my girls. He's an ameracauna. I've been told he's sweet and his current owners pick him up & love on him. I expressed my concern over him becoming the only rooster in the hen house. My friends say they don't think it'll be a problem since he's almost 2 years old now. I guess his breed and age could make the difference. After seeing your pictures of your beautiful rooster, I'm feeling ready for my boy to come home. Besides, I do kinda miss the morning wake-up call.
04-01-2015, 06:57 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That is all very interesting Tina....I appreciate you taking the time to write it. I know nothing about chickens and that gives me some insight into chicken behavior. I'm not worried much about him attacking me.....after all I have that Army of Otis at my call! I was looking at Otis notebook yesterday and noticed he had over two dozen chicken recipes bookmarked!

It really is neat to see him get up on the fence every morning and crow like crazy!

Hope you enjoy your new rooster! It sounds like you will!

Best Regards!

04-01-2015, 07:26 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Bassie Quote
Currently I have a Silkie Rooster:

and a Swedish Flower Hen:

I have kept a variety of breeds through the years. I like Polish Chickens a lot but they are easy prey around here.

The meanest rooster I ever had was a Barred Rock. He would come after me every chance he had. I finally had to give him away, with full disclosure, to an experienced chicken keeper. He told me later "That rooster was a mean SOB!"
They are beauties. Lol. we have a barred rock hen, but never one of the roosters. Thanks for the warning, I'll steer clear of that one. We've decided after 2 RIR, we won't have another of those either. Hopefully we will have better luck with the aameraucana. Here's 2 of my girls: a production red and a barred rock.

---------- Post added 04-01-15 at 09:32 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
That is all very interesting Tina....I appreciate you taking the time to write it. I know nothing about chickens and that gives me some insight into chicken behavior. I'm not worried much about him attacking me.....after all I have that Army of Otis at my call! I was looking at Otis notebook yesterday and noticed he had over two dozen chicken recipes bookmarked!

It really is neat to see him get up on the fence every morning and crow like crazy!

Hope you enjoy your new rooster! It sounds like you will!

Best Regards!
I doubt you'll have any problems. Otis has probably warned him. They are fun to have around. We went a few years without chickens, and I missed having them. Sometimes it's peaceful just to sit and watch them. Your roo looks like a fun guy.
04-01-2015, 09:22 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Bassie Quote
Currently I have a Silkie Rooster:

and a Swedish Flower Hen:

I have kept a variety of breeds through the years. I like Polish Chickens a lot but they are easy prey around here.

The meanest rooster I ever had was a Barred Rock. He would come after me every chance he had. I finally had to give him away, with full disclosure, to an experienced chicken keeper. He told me later "That rooster was a mean SOB!"
Nice looking birds Mr Bassie! My Big Chicken is friendly and easy going.....so far? He doesn't like cats but everything else seems OK with him. How many chickens do you have Mr Bassie? Collect eggs? Let's not even talk about eating chickens...it just doesn't seem right anymore for me to eat a chicken!

Maybe we can talk Adam into a Chicken Forum here? ....or we could just let them roam free all over the place like those damn squirrels? A Forum full of chickens and squirrels....and nuts, we have plenty of nuts here too!

Regards!
04-01-2015, 09:49 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

a real "watch chicken", only in Texas.

04-01-2015, 10:06 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My Andy occasionally brings a big chicken home for supper.
Attached Images

07-11-2018, 05:18 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Another Rupert story