Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
4 Likes  #1
Clear skies, blowing snow
Lens: Samyang 24mm Camera: K-5 Photo Location: Lapland ISO: 80 Shutter Speed: 1/350s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: fromunderthebridge, 04-07-2015, 01:14 AM

Possibly the most successful, or at least most striking picture from a recent ski tour. It captures nicely many of the elements present during the week (namely sun, wind and the fells). The textures on the snow were delicious and the blowing snow between the branches really cinched it.

Only thing that could have been better was the sun itself as I really don't yet have the best handle on shooting against the sun. I guess this also has to do with the lens as the samyangs are known as prone to flare and maybe not the prettiest starbursts.

EDIT:

Anyone know why the picture re-scales and ruins the details (I thought 1275x800 should not re-scale)? It looks ugly when compared to the actual file (i.e. opening the picture in separate browser window).

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Views: 1,362
04-07-2015, 02:30 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Wonderful - cold, crisp and clear. B&W works very well.

Jer
04-07-2015, 02:40 PM   #3
MSL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
+1 on Jer's comment. Very striking image (and looks good on my screen, even if it did resize)
04-08-2015, 06:24 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Love that it is in B&W. Nice one.

04-08-2015, 02:56 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks Sailor, MSL and slowpez!

I've noticed that the more I take pictures, the more I pay attention to the textures, shapes and light itself. I feel that for me B&W currently conveys those the best. Maybe in the future I'll also learn how to take color pictures as well .

I think the fuzziness of the forum rendering may I have something to do with my screen resolution or something. Well, as long as it doesn't bother anyone else (I've got my full rez negatives for printing purposes ).
04-08-2015, 03:02 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great image! If I'm not mistaken, the forum doesn't rescale if the image is less than 1024 px wide (someone correct me if I'm off base). You could try rescaling it yourself for higher quality. Alternatively, you could use another hosting site such as Flickr, etc. Excellent use of b/w.
06-29-2018, 06:01 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fromunderthebridge Quote
Possibly the most successful, or at least most striking picture from a recent ski tour. It captures nicely many of the elements present during the week (namely sun, wind and the fells). The textures on the snow were delicious and the blowing snow between the branches really cinched it.

Only thing that could have been better was the sun itself as I really don't yet have the best handle on shooting against the sun. I guess this also has to do with the lens as the samyangs are known as prone to flare and maybe not the prettiest starbursts.

EDIT:

Anyone know why the picture re-scales and ruins the details (I thought 1275x800 should not re-scale)? It looks ugly when compared to the actual file (i.e. opening the picture in separate browser window).
Stunning tones.