Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Tamron 28-75mm today! Test images and impressions inside
Posted By: cputeq, 06-05-2008, 05:25 PM

After wrestling for what seemed like an eternity on which would be my first lens (after selling off my 70-300 Tamron), I settled on the Tamron XR Di LD 28-75mm F/2.8. For people that do not need wide as much as they need moderate telephoto, I believe this is a good lens.

Some early impressions:

Large zoom ring with a zoom lock button at 28mm, though judging by the firmness of the zoom I don't think I'll need it. Zoom action is generally snug but smooth.

Smaller focusing ring up front. Although the focusing action feels better than the kit lens, it's a bit "geary" in feeling. Ring action is otherwise smooth, though, and doesn't feel loose.

Autofocus in bright situations - Pretty darn fast, actually, and surprising. Several times I got "zoom, lock" action instead of the typical "hunt, adjust, lock" action I normally get from the kit. I have not tested AF-C.

Now some test pictures.

All pictures originally captured as DNG and exported to JPG in sRGB space. I 100% cropped both of the dragonfly pictures, and exposure compensated all but my daughter's image. No other post processing done (no contrast, brightness, sharpness, etc).

Nothing spectacular, but I like the lens so far!

(sorry I missed and didn't focus on his eyes!)

Just some vines

Using onboard flash, completely untouched.

Mini-fountain

-----

These examples are nothing to win a prize over, but I'm very happy with the lens -- Sharp wide open, with pleasant slight blur at far edges at 28mm using "the wall test".

I was very hesitant, thinking it would be a bummer buying a lens in similar range to my 18-55 AL II, but now my fears are rested. Very sharp lens that I get at f/2.8 that I can't get with f/8 with my kit! Lovely stuff. Thank you for reading and I hope this inspires LBA in everyone!~
Views: 2,199
06-05-2008, 05:41 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow! The 2nd pic would sell a lot of lenses. I'd buy it based on that pic alone...
06-05-2008, 05:45 PM   #3
Igilligan

Much better than my first 28-75mm post...

It was raining the day mine came in....

great dragon fly... I dont use mine as a close-up lens enough... thanks for the reminder.

My fave portrait / carry round lens, that is on my camera 80% of the time. I hope you love yours as I do mine....

Nice shots...
06-05-2008, 05:57 PM   #4
Inactive Account

WOW, thanks for sharing. I was actually doing some research on that lens today. I have a wedding to shoot in October, and I thought this would be a great lens with the F2.8 for the evening, low light shots. I was also looking at a 17-70 f2.8. Thanks for sharing.

06-05-2008, 06:03 PM   #5

I think this lens is kind of hit or miss, I know looking at your 78mm f2.8 shots my lend would definitely not be that sharp...

You got a really good copy of this lens!!

At 78 f2.8 my depth of field is so razor thin the blur starts within an inch of the focus point in any direction whether I am close far, it does not matter

I'm referring to the branches shot!!
06-05-2008, 06:10 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by maxwell1295 Quote
Wow! The 2nd pic would sell a lot of lenses. I'd buy it based on that pic alone...
Yes thank you, I was also pleased with it!

My only regret - I couldn't get closer! I tried sneaking up on him very slowly and this was as far as I could get before he fled.

QuoteQuote:
It was raining the day mine came in....

great dragon fly... I dont use mine as a close-up lens enough... thanks for the reminder.

My fave portrait / carry round lens, that is on my camera 80% of the time. I hope you love yours as I do mine....

Nice shots...
Yes, I hate the rainy days when I want to shoot! I originally didn't buy this as macro and had forgotten about it, but saw "macro" on the box and was happy.

It's so very different shooting with this than the Tamron 70-300---that monster minimum is 180MM macro and like 2.5 feet away! This lens I'm almost on top of the object to get closest - very different shooting.

QuoteQuote:
WOW, thanks for sharing. I was actually doing some research on that lens today. I have a wedding to shoot in October, and I thought this would be a great lens with the F2.8 for the evening, low light shots. I was also looking at a 17-70 f2.8. Thanks for sharing.
You're welcome, thanks!

I did probably way too much research into what lens I was going to buy.

My choices for this range were:

DA* 16-50mm
Tamron's 17-50mm
This 28-75mm
Sigma 17-70mm
Pentax 17-70mm

---

DA* I'm sure is great when you get a good copy. But, for my budget, expensive for just having SDM / weathersealing advantages, considering similar optical performance. I was very close to getting this.

Sigma 17-70mm -- Initially this range of lens very appealing, but I wanted a constant f/2.8, so I had to drop this. Wide angle is not very important to me. Maybe when I move somewhere prettier or do more interior shots

Pentax 17-70mm - I wanted to see how this turned out, but the price estimates were a bit scary - plus I really wanted f/2.8

Tamron 17-50mm -- Very, very close to getting this, and almost pulled the trigger, but again I'm a nutcase and I do lots of research on lenses.
For the most part, the 28-75 rated a bit higher in sharpness, etc. wide open throughout the whole range compared to 17-50...though would I be able to tell the difference? I doubt it.

But, still, I considered my angle requirements and went with 28-75...I find myself wanting range many more times than wide, so this lens was the better choice for me.
06-05-2008, 07:06 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I just got one for my A700 and am very pleased. The AF is lightning fast. It's sharp at f2.8 and just gets better when closed down. It has a nice feel to it. I think it's the best buy out of the ones you were looking at. Besides that it will work on a FF when it comes out.

Ken

06-05-2008, 08:38 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by paulsoucy Quote
I think this lens is kind of hit or miss, I know looking at your 78mm f2.8 shots my lend would definitely not be that sharp...

You got a really good copy of this lens!!

At 78 f2.8 my depth of field is so razor thin the blur starts within an inch of the focus point in any direction whether I am close far, it does not matter

I'm referring to the branches shot!!
Hrm, that's strange to have a DOF that shallow no matter the focus distance...Have you sent this to Tamron for repair?

QuoteQuote:
I just got one for my A700 and am very pleased. The AF is lightning fast. It's sharp at f2.8 and just gets better when closed down. It has a nice feel to it. I think it's the best buy out of the ones you were looking at. Besides that it will work on a FF when it comes out.
Yes, I think it's an excellent value. I can't wait to take it to the city this Saturday and get more shots with it.
06-05-2008, 08:54 PM   #9

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow.. Hope to have this lens this year.. Saving up for one!