Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Anime Matsuri, Round the Last
Lens: Pentax FA 50 f/1.7 Camera: K-5 IIs Photo Location: Anime Matsuri 2015, Houston, TX ISO: 100 Aperture: F2.8 
Posted By: MadMathMind, 04-12-2015, 10:11 AM

These are of a friend of mine (red hair, purple robe) and her friends. I felt more comfortable moving them around and taking more time to set up the shots than I did with strangers.

Views: 1,100
04-12-2015, 11:02 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I wonder if it is such a good idea to cut off the legs? maybe either torso and up shots, or full body shots? These seem oddly incomplete because of the slicing of the body below the knee.
04-12-2015, 11:22 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I was trying to highlight both the costume and the person. There's no style guide for that one. Portraits generally try to highlight the face and fashion shots highlight the clothes. Here, the knees are where the costume stops being interesting: just boots for the girl in blue and pink socks for the girl in purple.

I took full-body shots too:

They definitely feel less personal because of the distance.

The group shot was more of an accident. The girls are actually stepping on someone as a joke. They lined up for that shot for someone else and I still had my 50mm lens on my camera. That was the only shot I could get--that's why the arms are cut off on the sides. The facial expressions were just so natural and delightful that I had to keep the shot, even though it is not optimally framed.
04-12-2015, 02:26 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
They definitely feel less personal because of the distance.
I agree. Thanks for the clarification.

04-12-2015, 10:02 PM   #5

I wasn't bothered by the "calf-up" shot at first glance. When I looked at it again, it still doesn't seem that weird to me. I notice no problems whatsoever with the girl in the full dress -- it seems a natural cut-off. A bit less so for the ladies in boots or (thigh-high?) socks, but even so, I'm not sure I'd want to lose the detail up top unless I was missing some really spectacular boots.