Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
New Beginnings
Lens: Pentax DA 21mm f/3.2 Limited Camera: Pentax K-5 Photo Location: Denton, TX ISO: 80 Shutter Speed: 1/1500s Aperture: F3.2 
Posted By: ZackHuggins, 04-13-2015, 02:27 PM

After the majority of my Canon gear was lost, I decided to look at Pentax when starting to rebuild. I'd always been curious about them from days when I worked in a camera store. My first film SLR was a Canon, and then my first DSLR, so I stayed within the Canon ecosystem, but after I was suddenly cut loose I thought now or never. This isn't the first shot I've taken with my new-to-me K-5 & Limited 21, but it's the first one that isn't a test shot first and foremost.

This is my girlfriend and a terrarium we picked up at a local market a few weekends ago.



Last edited by ZackHuggins; 04-13-2015 at 03:33 PM.
Views: 931
04-14-2015, 04:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member
K McCall's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Dallas, TX
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 808
I'm sorry to hear about your Canon gear, but I welcome you to the Pentax fold

I really like your shot - how these faceless hands offer a terrarium containing all these greens and oranges surrounded by browns and purples. While it's unorthodox to cut off your girlfriend's head, it definitely keeps the focus of the shot on the terrarium and hands.

The 21 Limited was one of my first lenses and the only one I ever sold. I feel a pang of regret when I see shots like this.

I look forward to seeing more!
04-14-2015, 12:04 PM   #3
Senior Member




Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 128
Sorry about your gear I kept seeing your lovely Leanne images while obsessively going through flickr searching lenses and just came across this one a few hours ago when I was looking through images for the 21. Didn't know you were here, too! I really like the processing you do on these pictures. Anyways, it's nice to see you here and I hope your experiment goes well
04-16-2015, 10:48 AM - 1 Like   #4
Junior Member
ZackHuggins's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 42
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K McCall Quote
I'm sorry to hear about your Canon gear, but I welcome you to the Pentax fold

I really like your shot - how these faceless hands offer a terrarium containing all these greens and oranges surrounded by browns and purples. While it's unorthodox to cut off your girlfriend's head, it definitely keeps the focus of the shot on the terrarium and hands.

The 21 Limited was one of my first lenses and the only one I ever sold. I feel a pang of regret when I see shots like this.

I look forward to seeing more!
Thank you! So far I haven't been missing it too much. Most of my day-to-day shooting has been with micro 4/3 cameras for the past few years, the Canon was mostly used for events and roadtrips. I'm excited to see what's coming down the pipeline for Pentax though, and I've been really impressed with the K-5.

And thanks! It's an unusual photo for me, not my usual style, but I like the result.

---------- Post added 04-16-15 at 12:52 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by goodnight Quote
Sorry about your gear I kept seeing your lovely Leanne images while obsessively going through flickr searching lenses and just came across this one a few hours ago when I was looking through images for the 21. Didn't know you were here, too! I really like the processing you do on these pictures. Anyways, it's nice to see you here and I hope your experiment goes well
Thank you! So far the experiment has been successful, I want all the Limited lenses

Thanks for the welcome! The community here has been very helpful, in fact I got the K-5 I'm using from the Marketplace here


Last edited by ZackHuggins; 04-16-2015 at 10:57 AM.
08-02-2018, 12:17 PM   #5
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Prague
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,913
QuoteOriginally posted by ZackHuggins Quote
After the majority of my Canon gear was lost, I decided to look at Pentax when starting to rebuild. I'd always been curious about them from days when I worked in a camera store. My first film SLR was a Canon, and then my first DSLR, so I stayed within the Canon ecosystem, but after I was suddenly cut loose I thought now or never. This isn't the first shot I've taken with my new-to-me K-5 & Limited 21, but it's the first one that isn't a test shot first and foremost.

This is my girlfriend and a terrarium we picked up at a local market a few weekends ago.

It works well.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
cactus, camera, canon, denton tx, experiment, gear, hands, images, k-5, lenses, limited 21, pentax, photo, portrait, shot, succulents, terrarium, thanks
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nature New Beginnings rycheme Post Your Photos! 1 01-09-2012 05:20 AM
People New Beginnings HeavyD Post Your Photos! 2 10-05-2011 05:07 AM
new beginnings RubyT Monthly Photo Contests 0 05-01-2011 06:24 AM
New beginnings JMR Post Your Photos! 13 05-07-2009 04:10 PM
Humble beginnings daacon Post Your Photos! 5 01-30-2008 01:33 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:18 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top