8 Likes  
Portraits at 77mm and f/1.8
Posted By: K McCall, 04-13-2015, 07:18 PM

Views: 2,344
04-17-2015, 07:02 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Fantastic set. I always look forward to your portraits. They are so otherworldly and beautiful.

04-17-2015, 08:08 AM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by K McCall Quote

The first has the look of a painting. Beautiful! Care to share how you did your post-processing?
04-17-2015, 09:16 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by indy Quote
The first has the look of a painting. Beautiful! Care to share how you did your post-processing?
Thank you! That photo has a LOT of processing. I'm travelling at the moment so can't go into detail, but it's processed very similarly to one I did a blog post about: The Edith Look: Using the Brush in Lightroom for a Paintbrush Effect | A SCENIC WORLD

For the one in the blog post, I used two brushes with the same settings. For the photo in this post, it was more like 7 brushes, all with various settings. The only color that has any saturation is red, and the golden look comes from split-toning (yellow highlights with red shadows).

I'll give a more in-depth answer when I return home!
04-18-2015, 04:06 AM   #19

Thank you! That photo has a LOT of processing. I'm travelling at the moment so can't go into detail, but it's processed very similarly to one I did a blog post about: The Edith Look: Using the Brush in Lightroom for a Paintbrush Effect | A SCENIC WORLD

For the one in the blog post, I used two brushes with the same settings. For the photo in this post, it was more like 7 brushes, all with various settings. The only color that has any saturation is red, and the golden look comes from split-toning (yellow highlights with red shadows).

Thank you for the link. I'll spend some time reading your tutorials and viewing your beautiful work!

04-18-2015, 06:05 AM   #20
Veteran Member

the sharpness is unbelievable !!! and it's wide open @__@ amazing photos !
11-06-2015, 01:31 PM   #21
Forum Member

The photos are gorgeous. Tell me more....did you use a tripod? a flash? Any Post Processing? If so, what?
11-06-2015, 08:02 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NancyK Quote
The photos are gorgeous. Tell me more....did you use a tripod? a flash? Any Post Processing? If so, what?
Thank you!

It's been a little while since I took those, but I pretty much use the same set-up when I'm home, so I'm fairly confident that this is correct: I did not use a tripod or a flash. I have a tripod that I only get out when I want to do a waterfall shot, but otherwise I trust the shake reduction probably more than I should. I have the 540 flash but rarely get it out.

Post-processing-wise, there's a good bit of tweaking done in Lightroom to both of these photos. I think the biggest difference is that I play a LOT with camera calibration to really bring out certain colors (and by "out," I don't mean necessarily saturation or vibrance, but more in how they render on the screen in relation to each other, if that makes sense) and adjust the sliders for each color's saturation and luminance in Lightroom (and occasionally hue as well). I'm also prone to use too much of the brush tool for dodging and burning.

If you use Lightroom, then hopefully that all made a bit of sense. If you have any other questions, I can look these photos up and find out when I did specifically!
11-07-2015, 04:50 PM   #23
Forum Member

Thank you for sending me this link. Your pictures are beautiful...I'm going to check out your "Edith Look" method. So do you use this lens quite a bit?

05-05-2016, 01:10 AM   #24
Veteran Member

amazing retouch ! I envy ur vision