Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Manual Focus Candids
Posted By: Alvin, 02-03-2007, 10:04 PM

Was fooling around with a couple old manual focus lenses during my goddaughter's birthday party. Both lenses surprised me.

Both shots - SR on, handheld, resized for screen using Windows Image Resizer Powertoy, no retouching otherwise. Primarily 60W incandescent lights with a bad mix of fluorescents.

1 - K series Pentax SMC 55mm f/2 lens. ISO 800, 1/30 sec, f/2, no flash. Incandescent WB.

2 - Gemini MC Auto 135mm f/2.8 MF (1:5 macro) lens. ISO 800, 1/20 sec, f/2.8, no flash. Incandescent WB.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D  Photo 

Views: 2,625
02-03-2007, 10:17 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Hi Alvin.

The first shot has a good neutral tone to it given there is a lot of tungstun light around. The cute little daughter is more in focus comparing to the dad, I presume?

Good old lenses can be as good as any newer version lenses. That is why we all like pentax lenses
02-03-2007, 10:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Hi Alvin.

The first shot has a good neutral tone to it given there is a lot of tungstun light around. The cute little daughter is more in focus comparing to the dad, I presume?

Good old lenses can be as good as any newer version lenses. That is why we all like pentax lenses
Thanks, Roentarre.

The baby girl was actually a guest at the party. The gentleman holding her is the host of the party and the father of my goddaughter. The host was actually dancing a bit with the baby and I had the lens at f2 for single person candids. It was tricky to get both of them in focus since both were moving a lot so I chose the baby. I was thinking of cranking to f2.8 for a second shot but didn't get the opportunity.

The old lenses are great finds - too bad they are on loan. I don't know if the owner of these lenses are willing to give them up after he sees these pics - I think he might just pick up a used DS/DL body and bolt the lenses on it -
02-04-2007, 04:53 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Hi Alvin!

Work above a composition... Do series of photographing if has not developed while " sensation of creation of a photo "... Also do not look through the received photos during photographing...

The best regards!

"Erased a hieroglyph" - the link "Photobie" for those who wants to have the free-of-charge editor working with plug-ins of Photoshop (which much too free-of-charge).
(I for the "accessible" software for creativity...)

02-04-2007, 08:08 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Two wonderfull memories
02-04-2007, 09:49 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very well done. The second one could be on a magazine cover!

Jerry
02-05-2007, 02:02 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you for the comments. I have to return the lenses soon in a couple days. I think I might try to pick myself a manual focus 50 mm of my own and try it out and see if I can borrow the 135 mm again from time to time until I can afford my own.

02-05-2007, 02:28 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I like the feeling I get from the second photo. They're very natural. I wonder what was so funny.
02-05-2007, 03:08 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Photochop Quote
I like the feeling I get from the second photo. They're very natural. I wonder what was so funny.
I'll explain the story behind the photo.

My two friends pictured here are expectant parents. The people around the table were joking around because of the way the man was handling a baby. The baby girl was just passed to over to him and he had an akward moment (part of the baby's head is seen at the bottom of the frame, but she's in the picture above).

I'll see if I can post up the "before" pic so you can see how the baby's expression - she had this quizzical look to her face - sorta like a "Who are YOU?" sorta look. I don't want to embarrass my friends though. I'll ask them first before posting it.
02-05-2007, 03:34 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's a really great shot Alvin. Nice framing and spot on focus. I probably would have tried to get both in focus and muffed it badly. I find doing candids (or any people really) hard.

NaCl(flowers are so much easier, and they don't move around)H2O
02-05-2007, 04:02 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Salty!

I love doing candids. I don't really like showing embarrassing shots though. Some of my family members have begun calling me "Papparazzi" because I always have a camera at a family gathering.

Those same family members have also started calling my camera the "big gun" because they all have P&S cameras. I don't know about that classification yet - the man in the first shot has got a Panny FZ-30 and that thing can get some amazing distance shots! It also trounces my camera in size because I have no lenses that are big enough to outsize it yet. Oh man...this is feeding my LBA and lens envy - ouch!
02-06-2007, 05:17 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Hi Alvin!

It то.что I promised - " my iron "

View Picture EXIF
Name:  MC-webRV.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  289.9 KB

The best regards!
02-06-2007, 09:11 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Prizmatic, That's some old iron there and quite a huge lens! I'll find my father's little camera and post it here this weekend.

Last edited by Alvin; 02-06-2007 at 09:47 PM.
02-06-2007, 09:46 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Photochop, here's the picture I promised to post earlier. The man has just approached the baby to try to pick her up. This was taken a couple frames before the 2nd photo was taken.

Sorry, I couldn't get the focus right on this one and was guessing at the exposure (I was thrown off by the white shirt on the left.

Gemini MC Auto 135mm f/2.8 MF (1:5 macro) lens. ISO 800, 1/25 sec, f/2.8, no flash. Incandescent WB.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D  Photo