Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  
New Holland Honey Eaters
Posted By: Cee Cee, 04-20-2015, 09:33 AM

a couple from a while back, just catching up with the processing so many photos so little time.
f8 1/750 iso800

f6.7 1/350 iso1600

Views: 1,738
04-21-2015, 09:01 AM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cee Cee Quote
, the lens is almost always at 300ml when birding, the fist shot was was from 4ft or there about, close to minimum focus distance, these juvenile honey eaters were all over the "bottle brush" bush in my front yard for a couple of weeks, in the end they got quite used of me standing next to the bush and I as able to get in close. The second shot is in park land, I'd estimate about 15(ish) ft
Thanks for that explanation. I was considering getting the new Pentax WR of this lens but as I have a Sigma 70-300mm Macro, I can put it on the Macro setting and don't have to be as close to my wild birds as they are usually further away than your last shot.

04-21-2015, 06:12 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Wow, Cee Cee, these are perfect!!

Jer
thank you Jer, appreciated, cheers

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Thanks for that explanation. I was considering getting the new Pentax WR of this lens but as I have a Sigma 70-300mm Macro, I can put it on the Macro setting and don't have to be as close to my wild birds as they are usually further away than your last shot.
I suppose it depends on how much birding you do, I had an older version of the sigma 70-300, I took some great shots with it but always had to add a little contrast & sharpen a little in PP, I've also used the sigma 70-300 APO macro, which was better but I think the DA55-300 has the edge in terms of contrast & sharpness, my only regret is I didn't get it sooner. As I understand it the macro function will only allow you to focus closer to the subject it doesn't increase the magnification from a given distance.
cheers
04-21-2015, 06:36 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Thanks. However, I'm not sure about your last sentence. I've noticed the difference in shooting standard 300mm without the macro activated and it does not seem to bring the birds closer, but with the macro setting in place, it does. Is that what you mean?
04-21-2015, 07:15 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Thanks. However, I'm not sure about your last sentence. I've noticed the difference in shooting standard 300mm without the macro activated and it does not seem to bring the birds closer, but with the macro setting in place, it does. Is that what you mean?
I'm no expert on lens design that's for sure (so you need to check this from another source) but as I understand it the size of an object in an image is determined by the distance from the subject and the focal length of the lens, the macro function of a lens allows you to get closer (reduced min focus distance) which gives the increase in size. If I remember correctly the macro function of the 70-300 is at 300 so If you shoot an object from say 12ft @300m I would expect the same size with macro on or macro off, but with macro on you will be able to move in and be able to focus a lot closer, giving you a larger object in the image.
cheers
CC.

04-21-2015, 09:24 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Thanks CC, I get it now.