Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
First City Shots walkabout
Posted By: cputeq, 06-06-2008, 08:07 PM

Today I took the camera and 28-75 on a brief (1 hour) walk around downtown Shreveport to test out my city shooting.

I got about a 50% keeper rate overall, which isn't *too* bad I guess, but I certainly need practice - Most of my rejects were because they were very...boring. I'm still very hesistant to photograph strangers, even if I ask, so I stay away from that subject matter.

Several of my shots turned out better than I thought and I didn't have to use any post processing - I love when that happens! It's like the planets lined up just for me!

-------------------

C&C Very very welcome, as this is my first real city walkabout and tips are always good. I found myself not missing a wide angle *too* much, but there are a few shots I would have liked a larger angle.

I would actually like to take some candid pictures of people -- But, the city I live in is not very large, and photographers are pretty uncommon to walk the streets -- How do you other street photogs handle taking peoples' pictures? Do you ask them or just snap away without drawing attention?

Without further ado:

Wade Was Here:

1.21 Jiggawatts!?

Stop. Stop. Stop. Stop. Stop. Stop...Crop.

Rack o Papers (no PP - /cheer!)

Urban Flower (no PP again! Surely a snowball has made its way through hell)

More in my shreveport 2008 walkabout

Thanks for looking and I hope you enjoyed!

Last edited by cputeq; 06-06-2008 at 08:14 PM.
Views: 1,155
06-06-2008, 09:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great start on the street shots. Really like the shot of the Temple. I have to admit, street photography is one of my favorite styles.

Have a look at Jaun Buhler's work. I like the way he captures the honesty, and humor of the people. He captures the "life" that is infront of him.

Street Photography by Juan Buhler

There are other street photographers that escencially "mug" the person for a photo. Not a big fan of that style.

Street photography is a style I have reciently started. I'm no ace.

Some things I do:

- Prefocus, and use aperture priority. I use a SMC-M 28, 2.8 set at f8 and 10'. this gives me a hyperfocus of 5' to infinity. (my numbers might be off, my lens is not infront of me)
- Look past your subject, and shoot from the hip (candid).
- Smile and ask.
- I sometimes use my ME Super. It is small, and not as "scary" as my K10D. It is also easy to keep hidden in my hand at my side.

Hope others can share their "street smarts" here. Personally, I'm a bit of an introvert, and I REALLY have a tough time asking to take a photo. I'd love to hear how others do this.

Thought I would include a street shot of my own. SMC-M 28, F8, ME Super, from the hip. Cropped, and rotated.

Last edited by KungPOW; 07-30-2008 at 10:10 PM.
06-07-2008, 05:48 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the tips! I didn't even think about just prefocusing, though I did very briefly think about trying hip shots.

I think my mindset may have prevented this -- I went into the shoot thinking "okay, take your time, and let's have very little rejects...conserve shots and think!"

I knew I would have to snap away with hip shots to get something usable, as I'm very inexperienced with that method, but I may give it a try. Another thing slightly working against me is the lack of a wider angle - my hip shots have to be further away to help get the subjects in the frame.

Thanks for the tips though! And I like your posted image - gritty and real.

------

Another poster in another thread told me he doesn't really do city shots, as he can't find inspiration (he's a birder mostly), so maybe that's my problem -- I was struggling to find "interesting" things to photograph on my walk, but perhaps I just have an untrained urban eye.
06-08-2008, 05:09 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Second one is my favourite. For street photography tips, go to Darren M.'s homepage :

Darren in Taiwan ... or Somewhere Else

06-08-2008, 06:34 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Nice series particularly like the building and the tracks.