Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1st Shots with FA50mm f1.4
Posted By: Truax_photo, 06-07-2008, 09:31 PM

Holy Cow do I like this lense!!!!
This is a smattering of shots that I took with my new 50! I love the bokeh and the low light shooting. None of these shots was post processed at all. Just downsized for uploading.

is all I can say about this lense! I can't wait to use it on my upcoming trip to Boston and Maine!
Views: 1,495
06-08-2008, 12:46 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A dazzling piece of kit

cheers
06-09-2008, 12:01 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks cupic.. with so many new posts, this one was lost on the next page within a day!
06-09-2008, 01:11 PM   #4
Inactive Account

gotta love that DOF, enjoy that primo lens.

06-09-2008, 01:11 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Try to do a focus check with it wide open. I don't know if it is just the downsizing or something else but looks like it is not nailing the focus ( or maybe it is just me lack of sleep)
06-09-2008, 02:06 PM   #6

Original Poster
I have realized very quickly that the focusing needs to be double checked, and re-checked with the lense wide open.. These shots were taken in near rain conditions with some breeze... I did end up with shots in this series that were not focused on what I had intended.... The DOF is so short that only half of the subject some of these shots is in focus.. Portraits will be very tricky and will require extreme attention to what is actually being focused. I have a wedding shoot in 12 days and I would love to use this lense.. gotta practice more with it soon to get the hang of the short DOF.. Thanks for the comment!
06-09-2008, 04:23 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Yeah, a short DOF is a fickle beast. When I rented my FA50 (yes..rent!), F/1.4 was just too narrow for me to use successfully...I found myself constantly stopping to around 2.8, maybe 2.0 minimum.

06-09-2008, 05:12 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Truax_photo Quote
I have realized very quickly that the focusing needs to be double checked, and re-checked with the lense wide open.. These shots were taken in near rain conditions with some breeze... I did end up with shots in this series that were not focused on what I had intended.... The DOF is so short that only half of the subject some of these shots is in focus.. Portraits will be very tricky and will require extreme attention to what is actually being focused. I have a wedding shoot in 12 days and I would love to use this lense.. gotta practice more with it soon to get the hang of the short DOF.. Thanks for the comment!
The point is it is the first time I notice my K10D has backfocus issue when I got my FA50, I too think it is just because my body was rocking back and fore when I was taking the pic, but then I realize that my camera has some part for that too. Before that I was just using the 16-45 so I don't notice as much.

Anyways I am just wondering that's all I did the focus adjustment for my camera and now my FA50 is sharp
06-10-2008, 05:52 AM   #9

Original Poster
I have read portions of the postings about the back focusing issue.. I have had some shots that could fall into the category of back focusing but I have not done enough tests to be sure. I won't even start asking questions about that issue here... I think it has been covered completely in some other posts. I think I will try putting the FA50 on my *ist D body to see if the focusing characteristics are the same, better, or worse with the lense wide open. Thanks for the discussion!