Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Lily Pt. 2 (film, mostly)
Photo Location: Seattle, WA 
Posted By: alan_smithee_photos, 05-07-2015, 01:29 PM

Following up on my previous post from my shoot with https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/294345-people-lily.html.

K1000, Voigtlander Nokton 58mm 1.4 SL II, Lomo 800

(one digital for comparison: K-5 IIs, DA 35mm 2.8)

Rolleiflex 3.5, Lomo 400

Views: 2,322
05-11-2015, 01:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
(I bet I win the "fewest comments per view" prize here. Doesn't really bother me; ig and tumblr give me plenty of internet love. But it's interesting.)
05-11-2015, 01:47 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Typing with one hand is too difficult?

Maybe it's because @Rupert only looks at ones labeled NSFW...
05-11-2015, 01:53 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Beautiful stuff.

05-11-2015, 02:02 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by alan_smithee_photos Quote
I bet I win the "fewest comments per view" prize here
It's an old joke, but the poor farmer with subscriptions to National Geographic and Playboy explained he liked to look at pictures of places he would never have the opportunity to visit. I really like the reflections in the piano top, my question is did the old beat up piano come with your studio, or did you have to bring it in for this shoot? Well, one other question: your portraits always seem to have very unglamorous backgrounds, does that tend to appeal to your models, or do you have to sell them on the grunge look?

BTW, I really like your motif of "discovering" beauty in empty, unkempt places, but I suspect some models would prefer a different look in their portfolios. Or perhaps I'm wrong.
05-11-2015, 02:03 PM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Conduit again my man, got get you some other premises...

Or alternatively get you on a Photoshop course so you can remove said conduit with content aware fill.
05-11-2015, 03:54 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First shot is my favorite. The final shot is captivating. The young model is truly a heartbreaker and that image captures her essence. Well done.

05-11-2015, 04:14 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Some very nice photos
But being that close to a window , just got to watch the light .
05-12-2015, 03:39 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think this is an amazing work, in particular 2-3-4-5-6 are great. Thanks for sharing.
05-12-2015, 04:30 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thx all! Really appreciate it.

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
I really like the reflections in the piano top, my question is did the old beat up piano come with your studio, or did you have to bring it in for this shoot? Well, one other question: your portraits always seem to have very unglamorous backgrounds, does that tend to appeal to your models, or do you have to sell them on the grunge look?

BTW, I really like your motif of "discovering" beauty in empty, unkempt places, but I suspect some models would prefer a different look in their portfolios. Or perhaps I'm wrong.
The studio where I shot these (and several others) is a rehearsal space owned by a non-profit theater group. They do lots of dance, music and other theater; the piano and other accoutrements come with the space. Sometimes it's a random assortment of stuff - never really know what you'll get, except for things like mirrors and those big windows. After shooting there a bunch I've gotten to know what props typically wind up where (and hopefully how to use them).

And people seem to dig the spare, unadorned, kinda scruffy look to the place. It's a welcome change from the curved white wall with strobes thing at most studios. There's another place I use that's better for the boudoir style shots (with a wrought iron framed bed, etc.), but the theater space is cheap!

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Conduit again my man, got get you some other premises...

Or alternatively get you on a Photoshop course so you can remove said conduit with content aware fill.
You know, I've actually grown to like like the conduit - at least some of it. I'll occasionally clone out a socket but I tell myself that it provides an interesting graphical element and leave it at that.