Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Mt. Wilson
Lens: Samyang 14 Camera: Pentax K5 Photo Location: Mout Wilson Observatory 
Posted By: GeoJerry, 05-07-2015, 10:03 PM

A few weeks ago I signed up for an astrophotography class. Here we are in the middle of an historic drought, and my class was rained out. Instead we got the full tour of the place, which was pretty cool. Here are my favorites:

The Hooker Telescope. This was the largest telescope in the world from 1917 through 1948. The guy next to me had a fancy light gun and I kept the lens open for 4 secs while he was playing with it.

Another shot of the Hooker. On this one I played around, removed the roof and shopped in some stars, just to imagine what it might have looked like if the sky had been clear (although the open area is exaggerated).

An old tank.

This is a solar telescope. The sun's light is directed down the tower into a sensor at the base.

Since I'm a landscape junkie, I had to grab a few shots of the countryside around the observatory. This one is very close to the main observatory housing the Hooker.

Looking down over the city of Los Angeles at twilight.

Views: 1,158
05-07-2015, 11:17 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow Jerry, these are great shots of a very interesting place to visit. Thanks for sharing, very interesting.
05-08-2015, 07:36 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Congrats on the rain. Doubt that it was enough to do much good. Sure wish we could send you some. That looks to be quite a place. TFS.
05-08-2015, 07:59 AM   #4
Pentaxian

A very nicely done interesting series Jerry.--charliezap

05-08-2015, 08:01 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for sharing, these are very good.
05-08-2015, 09:44 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd love to see this place - much about the universe has been learned on that telescope.

Great shots.

Jer
05-08-2015, 11:33 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks to all who commented on threes shots! It's well worth a visit if you're ever in LA but not easy to get to.