Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Streets of New York
Lens: M-28 2.8 Camera: K-50 Photo Location: New York City 
Posted By: oculus, 05-08-2015, 06:43 AM

Some images from the streets of New York. All of the images were taken with the M-28 2.8 mounted on the K-50, shot in RAW and edited in Light Room and NIK Silver Efex Pro. I would certainly appreciate any comments or (especially) critiques. Many thanks for taking a look!

Last edited by oculus; 07-18-2015 at 06:38 AM.
Views: 875
05-08-2015, 04:04 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Excellent set, as always...As much as it pains me to say it, I find the last one the most compelling (even though that gentleman's Hipster DB level is off the charts.) You might try opening up the shadows a bit on that side with a little bit of brush work, though.
05-09-2015, 06:03 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CreationBear Quote
Excellent set, as always...As much as it pains me to say it, I find the last one the most compelling (even though that gentleman's Hipster DB level is off the charts.) You might try opening up the shadows a bit on that side with a little bit of brush work, though.
Thanks. I remember the guy in the last one was practically bowling people over as he dragged his wheelie suitcase behind him toward some critically important destination. You can see the incredulity on the fellow's face on the left.
05-09-2015, 06:28 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is it only me? I have a feeling that you have a FF problem with the camera/lens as none of the pictures are sharp IMHO. I use manual lenses quite often, and I don't have a good eye, so I rely very much on the AF mechanism on the camera to snap focus (using center point), it works for me. And by doing it this way (ie. unless it is in focus, the shutter will not snap), I get almost 100% keep rate except for occasional exposure issue. I am not sure if your k-50 has the same kind of AF fine adjustment as my k-3 or k-5IIs.

05-09-2015, 07:09 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
I have a feeling that you have a FF problem
Foot fungus??? Time to call the dermatologist! But in all seriousness, I certainly understand your concern. For me, it is a trade-off. If I were photographing a leaf in my back yard or a still life or a formal portrait, I would have time to fuss with the focus and all sorts of things that would make for a more "technically" satisfying image, to be peeped and prodded at each and every pixel. For what I am trying to do (perhaps unsuccessfully!), I will trade the sharpness for the moment, since it is the moment (after all) which the street photographer tries to capture. It is an emotion, an interaction, a social engagement, an expression on a person's face captured "ex tempore".

Don't get me wrong -- if I were a better photographer, the images would be sharper; but when I am walking around the city taking pictures of human moments, my camera is the furthest thing from my mind. I set the focus (at 1.5m), the aperture (usually at f/8), the ISO (usually at 800), and adjust shutter speed depending on whether I'm in the sun or in the shade, usually between 1/400 and 1/2000. Then I forget about the camera and focus (as it were) on my surroundings. I'm sure there are those who would deride my method as simple-minded gaucherie; but, as I said before, I am willing to make the trade-off.
05-09-2015, 07:47 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cool stuff - I especially like the last one with what appears to be a concerned look on the young man's face.

Jer
05-09-2015, 08:00 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Cool stuff - I especially like the last one with what appears to be a concerned look on the young man's face.
Thanks, Jer. The man was clearly concerned.
05-10-2015, 02:12 AM   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
Streets of New York
These are great examples of my favorite kind of photography, well done, but then I'm just a sucker and confirmed "streets man" myself too.

New York offers such a great ethnic diversity of people, which makes for such great imagery.

My MO is pretty much the same as yours i.e. prefocused prime, but I tend use a tad wider either 20mm or 15mm for close work.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 05-10-2015 at 02:18 AM.
05-10-2015, 08:02 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
These are great examples of my favorite kind of photography, well done, but then I'm just a sucker and confirmed "streets man" myself too.

New York offers such a great ethnic diversity of people, which makes for such great imagery.

My MO is pretty much the same as yours i.e. prefocused prime, but I tend use a tad wider either 20mm or 15mm for close work.
Thanks. I have thought about using wider lenses; but I have developed such a good "feel" for the 28mm that I hesitate to change. Sometimes I use my Ricoh GR, but the results never seem to be as satisfactory, even though that camera has a super sharp lens. One switch I have considered making is to the A-28, to take advantage of the autoexposure; but to be honest I'm pretty good at judging what the right settings ought to be. There is a kind of "zone" into which one enters when using the same manual lens over and over and over again. I can't quite describe what I mean. I have practiced so often with the M-28 that it almost feels like it has been grafted onto my body as another appendage. I really like the familiarity I have with the lens and, as long as I keep getting the results I am seeking, I doubt I will change.

As for New York, what's not to like? I spend most of my time on the lower east side where the streets are narrower and the people are realer. Here's a quasi landscape I shot recently of the Brooklyn Bridge from the East River esplanade.

Last edited by oculus; 07-18-2015 at 06:38 AM.