Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
My First Wedding - Lots of Pictures (15)
Posted By: bigben91682, 06-08-2008, 01:04 PM

So about a year some friends from work (my non-photographic day job) got engaged. I offered to do their engagement photos as an engagement present. Well, they ended up liking them so much that they asked if I would shoot their wedding....I reluctantly accepted after urging them to hire a professional, and warming them up to the possibility that I could muck the whole thing up...after a long talk about what they expected, and what I could actually provide, they still wanted to have me do it....

They didn't pay me aside from minor expenses, and some gas money, probably cost them $200 in the end.

Anyway the wedding was last weekend, and I spent all this past week processing the photos, and I'm pretty happy with the results. Granted they aren't the work of a true wedding pro, but all things considered....

The set up I used...

Pre-Game - K20D with AF540 and 16-45,50/1.4, 50-135 assorted

Ceremony - Dual body, K10D no flash with 50-135, and K20D with 16-45 and 540FGZ mounted on a stroboframe quickflip (firing direct for most of the outdoor shots).

Reception - K20D with 540FGZ and Demb Pro Diffuser on Stroboframe, and K10D w/360FGZ and a Sto-fen omnibounce (assorted lenses on both).

I welcome C+C from those who know better than I... I think this is something I'd like to get into as a weekend warrior type job.

Here's what I ended up with:

Views: 1,998
06-08-2008, 02:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Boy did they get a bargain or what? If the rest of your shots look that good they should be sending you a check in the mail. Nice mix of traditional posing and photojournalistic shots. Dont sell yourself short next time, bump your price way up.
06-08-2008, 02:32 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Real nice work, especially the BW. The first of the first walz-photos is the best in my eyes. It is a great photo all categories, not just as a wedding photo.
06-08-2008, 02:52 PM   #4
Ash
Community Manager

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Fantastic present Ben.

You've done a great job here, and I'm sure they will love your work - good way to go also at the start of your venture. You're sure to get a lot of word of mouth referrals from this - so it'll soon be time to think about how much you should charge for your service...

Being no pro, I haven't much in the way of productive C&C for you, rather praise:
#8's my fave of the couple - love the desaturated and vignetted effect, and their pose is classic. I'd love to see it a little more tightly cropped, but hey, it still works well for me.
#11's my next favourite - a stunning and creative shot - love the angle and setup.
#14's just brilliant - love the way you used the lighting to isolate the FOTB and the bride. Well done.
#5's a great candid shot and well captured at the right time!

In fact, they're all fantastic!

06-08-2008, 03:08 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I appreciate everyone's kind words, it was quite an adventure that was a culmination of about 8 months of research into technique and what-not. The last thing I wanted to do was screw it up. It's funny you should say I should jack up the price, and for anybody off the street I will, but they are good friends of mine and even if I was a pro I would have done it for them for the same price....I really didn't want any money for this one, just didn't want to disappoint (and potentially lose) 2 good friends.

I haven't delivered anything to them yet, they are still in Alaska on their honeymoon, but I am relieved to have it done with and have some decent results.
06-08-2008, 03:23 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think you did an outstanding job! I love the putting shot. A nice start to a weekend career - careful what you wish for Well done.
06-08-2008, 05:31 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Outstanding work! You, sir, are a braver man than I. Excellent shots and I like every one of them.
06-08-2008, 05:37 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Excellent work. I like number 1 and number 14 the best, but all are really well done. I'm certain you could turn this into a successful weekend passtime!

06-08-2008, 05:53 PM   #9
Veteran Member

You have excelled in your present to the Bride and Groom

Just one thing did she get the putt in LOL

cheers
06-08-2008, 06:02 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Amazing job!!! great style that covers everything in your own way. They will love it!!!
06-08-2008, 06:06 PM   #11
Damn Brit

Nice work Ben, the B&W conversions look great. The third and fourth shots though; Is the third one after they beamed down from the Enterprise and the fourth one, just before they beam back up?
Gary
06-09-2008, 01:09 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cupic Quote
You have excelled in your present to the Bride and Groom

Just one thing did she get the putt in LOL

cheers
I wish I could say she did, but the whole thing was a set-up...

It was actually spur of the moment and we borrowed the putter and ball from some random people playing golf at the time, there was a group waiting to tee off behind them as well (it was a par 3..) so the shot was a bit rushed to say the least. The B/G thought I was crazy, but I think they will like the picture as they are both golfers.

I never thought I would be laying on my side on a putting green shooting this shot when I started the day out! We went to the reception right after and one of the guys in the band asked why I had grass on my arm & back.....I told him it was a new style of off-road photography.
06-09-2008, 03:00 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Having shot my first wedding as an assistant Saturday just gone, I have to say your work here is fabulous, creative, and brave... I love shot 5 in particular.
Well done!

Last edited by lbam; 06-10-2008 at 06:16 PM.
06-09-2008, 08:54 PM   #14

Like every1 else all I can say is dont sell yourself short.
I wouldnt have the guts to attempt what you have done. I think the hardest thing for me
is trying to come up with new angles and previsualizing the shots.

Congratulations on a job well done!