Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Portrait from not a portrait guy
Lens: 50 mm Camera: K 5IIs Photo Location: Utah ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/15s Aperture: F2.2 
Posted By: mr tibbs, 05-08-2015, 08:17 PM

I am sooooooo not a portrait guy, but I snapped this pic of my wife last night and I LOVE it! There is just so.... honest and natural about this shot that I love. Thoughts??

Views: 1,417
05-08-2015, 09:27 PM   #2
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It is a warm and intimate shot. I agree with your adjectives, honest and natural. Your wife is looking at you and not thinking about the camera. Short DOF works well and you got the focus right.

If you are being technical, you would probably have preferred her eyes to be slightly better lit, and could maybe take the highlights down on her nose. But, hey ... and I'm not really a portrait guy either.
05-09-2015, 04:46 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mr tibbs Quote
I am sooooooo not a portrait guy, but I snapped this pic of my wife last night and I LOVE it! There is just so.... honest and natural about this shot that I love. Thoughts??
Well, I'd say I'm a portrait "guy," and this is exactly the kind of portrait I hope for. Her smile reaches her eyes.

I agree with Des about the highlights on her nose. Some people subscribe to the idea that a black-and-white photo should have both true black and true white in it, and not just shades of grey, so that's another idea you might want to play with. A bit of dodging and burning could change the way different features are highlighted, especially if you shot in RAW.

Regardless, it's a beautiful shot, and one I'd be thrilled with, both as photographer and subject. Great job!
05-09-2015, 07:07 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I love that you love your wife! You show her beauty.

05-09-2015, 07:29 PM   #5
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm not sure I'm much of a photographer, and portraits were never something I pursued... so you can ignore my comments.
You got the composition right for reasons others have stated. It is a good shot that draws the viewers to her eyes and face.
Is there scope to play around a bit with the highlights and/or contrast etc. Sure. Some of that will also depend on the calibration of your monitor vs mine - so it could be that the photo is perfect already and that the normally dark settings I use for my monitor aren't showing the photo in its best light.
05-09-2015, 08:27 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments! I was actually taking pics of this guy on our back porch,

when I noticed the wife sitting on the floor just inside the sliding glass door and I snapped this pic. The lighting and composition just happened to be right and I think the photo turned out great! In fact, I think this is my favorite picture of her I have taken to date!
05-10-2015, 04:19 PM   #7
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice story, but whatever you do, DON'T TRY TO COMPARE the two photos