Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Tick Tick
Posted By: acbees, 06-08-2008, 06:51 PM

Was at one of the bee yards we have near a small lake this morning and sat down next to one of the hives to watch the bees bringing in morning pollen. Felt a little tiny crawler on my hand and decided to look before I brushed it off. The tick was so tiny I couldn't hardly see its legs. It had to be smaller than a 1/16th of an inch! They are a real problem around here this year. You can't go into the tall grass or woods without picking up some.
Grabbed the camera with the 50mm macro Takumar and snapped a few shots. It just wouldn't stop crawling!! Took these on the move. The option of stopping the movement with a flash wasn't good-I'm just not any good with flash yet. The only other option I had for stopping it I applied, but I figured you wouldn't want to see a picture of that.(!squish!)
Arvin

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Views: 3,740
06-08-2008, 07:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow! Great shot! Hope that's not a deer tick, although it does look like it could be just that.
06-09-2008, 01:42 AM   #3
Veteran Member

My goodness... where is he crawling on you? I thought it was your palm till I noticed the hairs (not that there's anything wrong with hairy palms ) That little bugger is teeny weeny! I woulda squished him but... eeewww
06-09-2008, 02:17 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jeez, they are scary looking things arnt they.. yuk!!! very nicely done with the shots tho mate... awesome detail!!

06-09-2008, 10:09 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Gawd I HATE those d*mned things!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good macros though...
06-09-2008, 10:41 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice shots. Those hand held macros are always tricky, but you did it well.
06-09-2008, 11:36 AM   #7

Original Poster
maxwell1295-Yep, that's what it is. The "normal" size is usually bigger, but they're all small this year and hard to notice on you. I'd rather be stung a dozen times than latched onto by one of these!

KrisK10D-It's crawling near my index knuckle on my left hand. Most bugs I don't mind, but these get squished!!

MRRiley-I totally agree! There's a great place to sit near our bees next to a small pond kind of hidden in the trees where I took some shots posted earlier of some birds and turtles. But, the ticks are sooo bad around here this year I had to quit going there to sit and relax. Can't find anything that keeps them off.

DV, xs400, and all thanks for the comments. Here's a shot I missed focus while chasing it around my hand, but it gives and idea of how big (or small) it really is without cropping.
[IMG][/IMG]