Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
New York
Lens: Pentax SMC-M 28mm f/2.8 Camera: Pentax K-50 Photo Location: Manhattan, NY 
Posted By: oculus, 05-13-2015, 05:17 AM

Street candids from New York. I of course welcome any comments or critiques. Thanks for taking a look.

Last edited by oculus; 07-18-2015 at 06:38 AM.
Views: 807
05-13-2015, 08:49 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I enjoy scrolling through street shots like these. Every single one of them has a different story and its own cast of characters. The last one is a classic!

I'm very bad at this kind of photography, so bad I rarely ever try it and anyway I feel to self conscious to do it. But I do have one suggestion. In the first picture there is a round shape hovering over the girl's head on the right. I'd suggest cloning that out, because, for me anyway, it kept drawing my eye away from the woman on the left.

Nice work!
05-14-2015, 04:25 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GeoJerry Quote
But I do have one suggestion. In the first picture there is a round shape hovering over the girl's head on the right. I'd suggest cloning that out, because, for me anyway, it kept drawing my eye away from the woman on the left.
An excellent suggestion, thank you! You are right. It makes a huge difference.

Off to old Manhatto again today to float through the urban flow with my trusty M-28. Sunny and 73 degrees -- good for walking all day, but tricky light. I will have to be on my "A" game.
05-14-2015, 07:40 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Great set as always...the last gent looks as if he stepped out of Watchmen.

I don't have the skill set--physically or psychologically--for street shooting, so take this with a grain of salt, but one thing I've noticed is that you might be optimistic about the DOF of that lens for many of your "close-up" subjects. (Compare with the last, mid-torso, shot that's technically perfect.) It might be worth playing around with one of Kerrowdown's 20mm's if it gave you a few more inches on the short side--especially if you had a K3's 24MP that you could carve up in post.

05-15-2015, 03:16 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CreationBear Quote
you might be optimistic about the DOF of that lens for many of your "close-up" subjects.
I think you are right about my "wishful" thinking as to DOF. For yesterday's photo outing I tried some alternate settings and we shall see how the images turned out.

QuoteOriginally posted by CreationBear Quote
psychologically
What do you mean?
05-15-2015, 03:48 AM   #6
Veteran Member

BW suits these well - very nice candids of street life.
05-15-2015, 04:30 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Definitely look forward to the results...I'm no pixel-peeper (and of course, different genres of photography have different criteria) but that last shot really shows what is possible. At any rate, as mama always said, oculi populi, oculi Dei...not surprisingly, the old gal had little or no truck with Romanticism of any sort.