Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Birthday party pictures from today
Posted By: jbrowning, 06-08-2008, 10:18 PM

Hello everyone here are the pictures from the birthday party I went to today. C &C is appreciated.

Mommy, daddy and birthday boy.

Birthday boy.

Birthday boy.

Mommy, birthday boys brother, and grandma

Grandma and birthday boys brother

Grandma

Birthday boy and brother

Mommy and birthday boy

Lucky birthday boy

Lucky birthday boy and brother

Well these all were taken with the K10D, 18-55mm, AF-540FGZ Pentax flash bounced off ceiling, ISO 400 and a homemade diffuser. All the pictures at the table I was shooting towards the window and it was a sunny day. If you have any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
Jim
Views: 2,165
06-09-2008, 02:27 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Geeee... can't half tell they're brothers, can ya? Nice pics, not real sure I like the cluttered background tho.
06-09-2008, 08:07 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Hi KrisK10D, I agree about the background. But we were in a restaurant so there wasn't too much I could do. Thanks for the reply.

Jim
06-09-2008, 11:14 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Not to sound pushy but no one else has any suggestions on shots like these that are taken at a restaurant? Good, bad, Jim your the reason why some people shouldn't be allowed to have cameras.

06-09-2008, 11:51 AM   #5
Veteran Member

hehe what a lucky baby good food and good photos~ could use thiner DOF to cover up the background. I don't know if you are sitting the window side or not, but usually that's what I do, so other ppl will get all the sunlight without backlit problem, and I can use wider aperture so thinner DOF.
06-09-2008, 01:26 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi vizjerei, I was facing the window I thought that would help at first. But later on I found out I was very wrong with my thinking. If I was using a flash how would I have used a wider appeture opening? Wouldn't that have really blown out the photos?

Thanks
Jim
06-09-2008, 01:38 PM   #7
Veteran Member

you can manually change the power output for the flash ( either the onboard flash or the extenal ones), I usually lower it about 1 or 2 stop for my on board flash in this kinda situation. I don't know if K100D is the same setting but in K10D, go to Fn button, and press down to the flash, then using the back dial you can adjest the output power of the flash.

That's why I was also saying that I usually sit at the window side so using wider aperture and without flash since the camera is facing indoor side.

Last edited by vizjerei; 06-09-2008 at 05:05 PM.
06-09-2008, 02:08 PM   #8

Gotta love Hters! Nice idea bringing the youngster in so you can justify taking pictures of the staff!!! I'll need to remember that. Good candid b'day shots.

06-09-2008, 04:48 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Now I understand vizjerei, I will have to see about adjust the settings on the flash. I was using a K10D for this. I haven't had a chance to change my tag yet.

Thanks
Jim