Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Kites! (finally)
Posted By: NaClH2O, 06-09-2008, 04:09 AM

I finally got around to finishing up the processing on the photos I took of this year's Washington DC Kite festival. It's held in conjunction with the Cherry Blossom festival, at the end of March. I must say I was a bit disappointed in this year's festival, not as many banners. streamers, flags and other waving/flapping extras, no bubble machine either. And for the most part the sky was an unrelieved grey. We also got there too late for the big kite flying and judging, tho the "fighting kites" was pretty cool. In any event still a good chance to get some different (at least for me) types of photos. BTW, shooting a kite festival is a very good way to check for dust on your sensor!

There weren't as many banners as last year, but this set up was pretty cool, a bunch of banners that when viewed from the end resembled an American Flag. K10D and Pentax DA 12-24

I think this is my favorite shot, Dragon Kite head on. DS, Pentax A 70-210

I do have to admit tho, there were lots! of kites of all different shapes, sizes and colors. DS, Pentax A 70-210

A couple of the soaring, swooping variety. Check out the harness on these! I'd hate to get them tangled. Same camera/lens as above

The Washington Monument makes a great background. And one of the few times the sky cleared a bit. K10D, Tamron 28-75 F2.8

Another view of the same kite, looks completely different in profile. DS, Pentax A 70-210

The Chinese "Red Army" was there. Same camera/lens as above

I'll leave you with a final, three kites in the "fighting kites" competition. The goal was to either back wind the opponents kite or hit the string hard enough to cause the kite to fall out of the air. There were about 20 kites to start and the last on flying was the winner. K10D Tamron 28-75 F2.8

If you are interested in seeing more they can be found here:
saltwater : photos : DC Kite Festival 2008- powered by SmugMug

NaCl(thanks for looking)H2O
Views: 7,087
06-09-2008, 04:17 AM   #2

Sounds very much like the festival from book/movie Dragon Runner, i think that one was hosted in the end of March as well..

Your images are good, and the focus and exposure is tack on.
06-09-2008, 04:23 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some great and colourful shots there - the Chinese Army one is very interesting.
06-09-2008, 04:33 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Great shots Salty! Sounds like it might be a tough one to shoot, too. Do you go wide angle to capture more kites, but knowing they would show up very small in the image or use the telephoto to zoom in on individual kites, but miss the 'big picture'? I think you did well.

06-09-2008, 06:24 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Well done Salty - some of those kites look like they could carry you away ! Good job with a tough sky.
06-10-2008, 03:54 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks everybody, the Kite festival is one of my favorite shooting venus. The sky was tough this year but what the hey. Glad 'youse guys' enjoyed them.

NaCl(next year I'll get there earlier and catch the master kite maker competition)H2O
06-10-2008, 04:23 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Wow, great series here. The colour and patterns are intriguing. Your annual shots of this event are evolving into something different each year!

06-10-2008, 04:32 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Well done Salty - some of those kites look like they could carry you away!

Back in the days before airplanes, kites were often used to lift military observers high into the air so they could get a look at the opposing forces. So don't laugh...some of those kites CAN carry you away! Especially the parafoil types. You'd be surprised how many people have been killed over the years while flying kites. Nice pics, Salty. Makes me want to break out my stunt kites this weekend.
06-10-2008, 10:05 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Nice Salty! I love the shot of the kite by the Washington monument. I know you had fun shooting these kites. Now, off to enjoy your smugmug gallery.
06-10-2008, 10:32 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I really enjoyed seeing these I love the dragon one too
06-10-2008, 11:29 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Very colourful series. It reminds me of when I was a kid and wanted a kite sooo badly.
06-10-2008, 07:44 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks everybody! I hope you don't mind me not responding to all of you individually, I'd be saying the same thing over and over and besides it's late and I get up at 4AM. :yeech:
Anyways, if you enjoyed these, here is the link to last years Kite Festival
saltwater : photos : Kites! The Washington DC Kite Festival- powered by SmugMug

NaCl(already looking forward to next year, maybe with the DA* 300? )H2O
06-10-2008, 08:44 PM   #13
Veteran Member

omg my son would have a heart attack (kite fanatic) - I'll have to keep that kite festival on the schedule for next year - perhaps we'll take a trip to DC and do some sightseeing while we're there.

06-11-2008, 04:12 AM   #14
mel
Veteran Member

Thanks for sharing these. This looks so cool. I really need to try to get up there for this next year (I was probably at a soccer game or two that day). Beautiful shots and nice colors.
06-11-2008, 04:23 AM   #15
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Cool shots Salty. I like the dragon as well. The para-sails look tough to control as well with all the lines. You did a great job with an MF lens. The first one has something of an optical illusion at first glance. The green post (yellow tape barrier) lines up with the second banner and almost makes it look like the second banner is first and second at the same time.