Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Infrared with the DS, 31/1.8, Hoya RM-72 filter
Posted By: TiJean, 06-09-2008, 06:15 AM

Infrared shooting with my RM-72 filter, *istDS and 31/1.8 Limited.

I've been intimidated by infrared for a long time, but I think I really got comfortable with it after a gazillion stupid, beginner mistakes (like leaving the camera on 1600 and JPG). The RM-72 filter filters out the visible light, giving the infrared light an chance to get to the sensor and make beautiful, surreal pictures. Its a little disconcerting to not be able to see through the viewfinder, but with still subject matter and digital it doesn't really matter because you can always just make adjustments and reshoot. The autofocus seemed to work wonderfully, though at f8.0 and above, I can't really critique too finely.

I was also shooting with the same lens and same filter on the (film) K-1000 and Ilford SFX film. The guess and adjust method doesn't work on a manual focus film camera so not only did I not get help in composing, I also had to see through the viewfinder (and through the filter) well enough to FOCUS! Being the dork that I am, I threw a shirt over my head and the camera, pushed my eye hard against the metal eye piece, and thanked my stars that I do not really have to wear my glasses to see.

Views: 2,919
06-09-2008, 06:18 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Very nice shots - I just puchased an istD and a Hoya R72 filter to take shots like this , now I have to wait for the rain to stop.
06-09-2008, 05:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I like the road through the woods and the covered bridge shot. I kinda wished I wouldn't have given my K110D away for shots just like this - but my brother had a baby and desparately needed a good camera, it was my present to him.

I'll have to get used to the extra-low IR sensitivity of my K200D. That's what the tripod is for, I suppose.
06-09-2008, 08:08 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Lovely shots, I so wanna try IR some day too

06-09-2008, 09:37 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

These shots look great. I have taken some IR shots using the R-72 filter on the DA 18-55mm kit lens and I have to say your shots are much sharper than anything I was able to get. Looks like I need to get a new lens for IR. Thanks for posting.
06-10-2008, 12:51 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Nice IRs Jean

I've tried some IRs myself, I know it's not that easy to do that by using a normal IR filter in front of a lens. To be honest, a dedicated IR camera is much easier. Especially when taking IR photos w/ moving people in them (IR converted K100D+Kit lens):

06-10-2008, 05:38 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Those are gorgeous, Frank. I've been toying with the idea of converting the DS but my husband borrows it every time he travels on business and its pretty invaluable for that. It's the only time he gets to use those wonderful lenses he's paid for.

I know a second one to convert isn't terrible expensive, but its behind the 16-50/2.8 and a 67 body with metering prism on the "to buy" list. I do still think it would be SO cool though.