Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Rocky Fork State Park
Lens: DA 21, DA 25 macro, DA 70 macro, A 35-105, etc Camera: K-5 IIs Photo Location: East Tennessee 
Posted By: mole, 05-16-2015, 08:53 PM

One of the reasons I've not been around lately is all the preparation for the opening of our NEW Tennessee State Park - Rocky Fork. Have helped host several hikes and events there, as we assist the new staff with the new park. It's an amazing wilderness park, and I've already posted LOTS of photos from there in the past. Hope you don't mind a few more…

Here's a view in late March from White House Rocks overlook - just a bit of thin snow holding on in the uplands…

Probably the best-known view at Rocky Fork is the triple falls. Easy to get to (just a short stroll from the park entrance) and definitely work the walk!

Lots of other fine waterfalls scattered along the many park streams…

Which are home to some amazing little lives, like this Blackbellied Salamander.

And some strange and amazing fungi too, like this little Earthstar.

There's one spot at Rocky Fork I've been trying to find for years! Have been to the base of 700' high Buckeye Falls (in nearby Sampson Mt Wilderness) several times. But was told that there is a spot, at the very edge of Rocky Fork, where you can look across Clark's Creek valley and see the full extent of Buckeye Falls. Finally found the spot this past March, and was able to take a group of hikers out to see it too!

Never a lot of flow in Buckeye Falls, but still an impressive sight!

Am looking forward to the continued protection, and development of better trails, at this amazing new park. Hope these few photos will inspire you to come see for yourself! (Will be leading a 16 mile hike there on June 6th - PM me if you want more information.)
Views: 1,380
05-16-2015, 09:18 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well that park carries intriguing life
05-17-2015, 05:43 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Mole! Glad to see you back...I know you have nothing to dread from anything that crawls or goes on four legs, but I was worried State gub'ment had kicked you upstairs and away from your flock.

At any rate, too many great sets to comment on, but the one of Buckeye Falls across the valley is amazing--I bet you could count on your fingers the number of similar views that exist in the entire Southern Appalachia's. (The Tennessee Trillium was also revelatory: if I was the kind to keep lists, it would be up there on mine if I've not somehow passed it and thought it a spent yellow or sessile-flowered maroon.)
05-17-2015, 05:45 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Wonderful series - looks like a great place for hikes.

05-17-2015, 07:56 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Wish I could do 16 miles Mole. I would love to come along. You will just have to take us all there with your camera.
05-17-2015, 10:04 AM   #6

Great shots! I will put Rocky Fork State Park on my list of places to visit in Tennessee.
05-17-2015, 06:30 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Well that park carries intriguing life
Indeed! It's also home to the 2nd highest Black Bear population in the Eastern US!

QuoteOriginally posted by CreationBear Quote
Mole! Glad to see you back...I know you have nothing to dread from anything that crawls or goes on four legs, but I was worried State gub'ment had kicked you upstairs and away from your flock.

At any rate, too many great sets to comment on, but the one of Buckeye Falls across the valley is amazing--I bet you could count on your fingers the number of similar views that exist in the entire Southern Appalachia's. (The Tennessee Trillium was also revelatory: if I was the kind to keep lists, it would be up there on mine if I've not somehow passed it and thought it a spent yellow or sessile-flowered maroon.)
Not much fear of me "going upstairs!" Glad you enjoyed all the different sets. Yes, that view of Buckeye Falls is indeed unique. Best seen in the early Spring when water levels are high and not too many leaves out. I'll be leading a hike out there for a Knoxville hiking club on May 30th - hoping it won't be too dry. Any time you want a hike there (or elsewhere in Rocky Fork) just let me know! Oh, and I doubt you've ever passed by a Tennessee Trillium. They're only found in a very limited area in Northeast Tennessee, and all on private land.

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Wonderful series - looks like a great place for hikes.
Yes it is - with over 24 miles of existing trails, and more to come soon!

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Wish I could do 16 miles Mole. I would love to come along. You will just have to take us all there with your camera.
There are lots of shorter and easier hikes at Rocky Fork. You'll have to come see for yourself one of these days soon!

QuoteOriginally posted by mikemock Quote
Great shots! I will put Rocky Fork State Park on my list of places to visit in Tennessee.
Great! Let me know if you need more information.

05-19-2015, 10:25 AM   #8

Compare 1/4 & 3/8 compressor hoses
05-19-2015, 11:37 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
beautiful compositions.... thoroughly enjoyed this series, dave m
05-19-2015, 03:16 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
what a beautiful area that you captured very well. Thanks Ranger for taking us along.
05-19-2015, 11:10 PM   #11
Veteran Member

These are superb, especially #4. I like your clean and crisp style. Well done!