Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Drifting Weekend
Posted By: Gaelen, 06-09-2008, 09:14 AM

Well I only made it to 3 of the 4 planned events as I was just too tired after 2 full days.

Here's a few pictures from the events

Pacific Raceway June 6

Pacific Raceway June 6

Pacific Raceway June 6
Views: 2,480
06-25-2008, 04:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sorry I missed these Gaelen!

Drift is never as good in the wet, is it. No smoke and crap light. These are good, nice composition and exposure is spot on. Focus looks to be spot on as well, except the last 2, but I have a fair incling this is the camera, I struggle with similar shots as well. The black Sprinter (?) focus looks good, was this intentional? If it was it works, if it wasn't it is a fantastic result all the same. The black 180SX (you North Americans call them something weirld like a 240SX) is spot on. The first 2 lack a bit of motion to me. All look like they were taken at a pretty long focal length which makes it hard to drop shutter speed. At 300mm (these would be 200-300mm?) I would be aiming for 1/320, maybe 1/250 if it wasn't cold, haha. Can you get down to track level here? Maybe mixing it up a bit with some track level shots too?

The first and second shots in the second batch are spot on! I love them. Nice slow shutter. I particularly love the second shot, perfect composition, the cones are in exactly the right spot and frame the car. We don't have any tracks near me where I can do long smooth arc pans, I'm jealous. That 3rd one of the blue S13/14 would be a winner if it wasn't for the cone, bt I know you can't avoid that, I wouldn't try to 'Shop it out either. It is a bit out of focus, but once again I am sure this is the gear, I have the same problems with things aproaching me at speed, the camera simply is not capable of focussing. That last shot is alright, love the light, more angle would be good though, could you have gotten it closer to the apex of the corner?

Overall mate, top work. I have to go earn some money, but will check out the galleries later on.

Cheers,

Adam.
06-26-2008, 09:09 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Adam,

Yes it was a crappy day out and we didn't get to run the next day when it was clear, but it was well worth the experience. Most of the shots were taken with either my 80-320mm or my 400mm 5.6, it was a good test for me to see the difference between the two. The Sprinter(Corolla) was not an intentional shot, but I was quite happy with it none the less. It was hard to get motion out of some of them at such a length as I didnt have my tripod and couldnt hold it still that well(I was FREEZING) I was only allowed in the corner booths so I was VERY limited to my shots, we only had a choice of 3 spots, I only used 2

Ya I love that track for that reason, Formula D is there this year again and I'm working on a media pass for it. Ya those cones kill me sometimes, but it's life and just have to live with them. I would have loved more angle, but with the angle they were coming in on the far side, and the fact there was a HUGE puddle in the previous apex and the switched back to the other direction right after those last 2 shots, no one had much angle in there.

I'm going to try a few different spots next time to see how it goes.

Thanks for the words of widsom Adam, greatly appreciated
06-29-2008, 04:50 AM   #4
Veteran Member

haahaa... I went to a drift event just today. Shame you got rain, doesn't make for good smoke Love these shots, specially #5 kicking all that dirt up

06-29-2008, 06:18 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KrisK10D Quote
haahaa... I went to a drift event just today. Shame you got rain, doesn't make for good smoke Love these shots, specially #5 kicking all that dirt up
I was meant to go to EC today ... but for a car club shoot at WSID on the dragstrip ... I missed out though due to work unfortunately. Post up your shots from the day.

Gaelen ... I really like the Trueno with a gravel throw ... the focus on the gravel is awesome and really makes this shot.
06-29-2008, 06:25 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mechan1k Quote
I was meant to go to EC today ... but for a car club shoot at WSID on the dragstrip ... I missed out though due to work unfortunately. Post up your shots from the day.

Gaelen ... I really like the Trueno with a gravel throw ... the focus on the gravel is awesome and really makes this shot.
We really gotta get our act together mate They're up now
06-30-2008, 08:46 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys

Ya it was unfortuante we got rained on, but it was quite the experience and I had a lot of fun.

That gravel shot was cool...A total fluke but cool