Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Bridge Folly
Posted By: Kerrowdown, 05-19-2015, 06:54 AM

For those who have everything... how about your own bridge to nowhere.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 

Views: 1,692
05-21-2015, 02:38 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Ridaeau Canal near Ottawa was built by Scottish stonemasons, who later settled in the Ottawa valley, around where I used to live in Perth Ontario, so the style of masonry is familiar... but the canal is all stone, no concrete. SO my guess is a more recent construction. That canal was built in 1826. Although even that's questionable because concert after having been used in Roman times started to become popular again in the mid 1800's.

05-21-2015, 02:40 PM   #17
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
SO my guess is a more recent construction
The depth of your knowledge is truly something to behold... I just wish I was just half as clever.
05-21-2015, 03:36 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
The depth of your knowledge is truly something to behold... I just wish I was just half as clever.
Half as clever? What? you only aspire to being a genius? (Gratuitous flattery a specialty...)

I gather from the EXIF data that you used your A20/2.8. I have the besmirched FA equivalent, and it's a useful focal length on APS-C, isn't it? Imagine how good it could be on your next camera!

Maybe your thread title is correct, that the bridge was just a folly. I understand that even the dour Scots occasionally indulged in that peculiarly English eccentricity. It's certainly too wide for the average railway bridge, unless it was meant for a bustling metropolis with multiple tracks, but I suspect not.

There's always a story associated with an object in the landscape. When you find out, you must share it with us.
05-21-2015, 03:43 PM   #19
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
When you find out, you must share it with us
Done a bit of homework... it's called the Absurd Bridge – a bridge with seemingly no purpose. The bridge originally carried the railway line over the tow path; to the right is the railway viaduct over the river Oich of which only the stone piers survive, these can be best seen from the road bridge. To the left once stood another swing bridge, which carried the railway over the Caledonian Canal.