Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
The River Lads
Lens: Sigma 150-500mm Camera: PENTAX k3 Photo Location: La Grange Boat Ramp ISO: 1600 Shutter Speed: 1/640s Aperture: F10 
Posted By: sherrvonne, 05-19-2015, 10:54 PM

Drove down to the Boat Ramp to see how high the river was up. The older man had already caught a 10lb catfish and was still fishing. The other man recognized his friend and stopped to talk. Then another photographer showed up. From the senior fisherman I learned that in the 60's the original bridge which had wood floors was replaced with the one we are used to. He was sitting next to one of the original pylons. It was interesting hearing about history that connected to people and families I know now or are actually related to. The man with the canon is a retired crime scene photographer.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by sherrvonne; 06-12-2016 at 05:48 PM.
Views: 774
05-20-2015, 09:11 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The first photo, especially, is terrific. Great stuff.

Jer
05-20-2015, 09:50 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
My original intention was to photograph the crazy things that were floating down the river. The day before my elderly client who I was driving for, ( a lady who has travelled all over the world) ask me to take her around to see the high water. She has drivers that take her everywhere.... Anywhere, just to drive around and look at scenery. Well there was balls, shoes, canoes and all sorts of things floating by. I didn't have all my gear with me so I didn't get to take many serious photos on that day. But the next morning I went back and most of the crazy floating garbage had already gone by but the conversation with the onlookers was interesting. Lol, I only had that big lens for distance and made do with what I had. Yeah, for the second photo he was too close.
The older man in the First pic has lived here all his life, has slight German/Czech/ Wendish? Accent. He recounted a lot of history, the other man talking with him worked at the local power plant where my husband was a machinist. That guy might still work there. Between the two of them they were telling the Photographer guy (lol, don't remember their names) about past floods, etc.
The photographer was shooting a canon, he said he uses two bodies and Keeps a longer zoom on the other. He said he used to do crime scene photography and is retired now. He was surprised to see pentax, we had a nice camera related conversation.
05-20-2015, 10:02 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Love the first shot. Nicely captured.

05-20-2015, 11:28 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree, #1 for the win!