Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
IR Help Needed
Posted By: daacon, 06-09-2008, 04:34 PM

I just started trying Infrared photography with the istD / DA 18-55 and a Hoya R72 filter. Based on these results I need help. This was taken with a Tripod - no timer , dish cloth thrown over the view finder. I am doing something worng...

Conditions were not optimal - cloudy , overcast, and windy , still I wonder why I have some much color in the shots ?

I am open to suggestions thanks

You can click on image for full size

First Shot
f16, ISO 200, 1.6 sec

B&W conversion of above

Second Shot
f16, ISO 200, 1.6 sec

B&W conversion of above

Views: 1,463
06-09-2008, 07:29 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Dave ,

You're doing so far so good . IMHO , you pick quite a difficult place to test your IR . Look like the fence is white to me so when you take IR , trees , and the green grass , will turn white next to it so it's not too pleasing to the eye . Most IR photos will have some "dark" elements in it : water , building , sky , bare ground ... to balance out . IR is " B&W" type so you have to think of texture , shape , shadows.. just like regular B&W photos .

On the positive note you took care of low ISO , small F stop , tripod , covering view finder . Very good start .

It's windy too - I can see the trees bending - so the image will have some blurring .

Also you will have to playing around with the image a bit . Desaturate alone won't do the trick . I took the liberty to play with the photo. Hope you don't mind . Just a quick fix with levels , channel mixer .

I often shoot a bunch of images of same place in IR . Start with F16 then increase or degrease F stop depending on how dark it is . Kinda bracket it .

And I tell you now that not many of my IR shots made it to posting . But you won't tell that to nobody else would ya ?
06-09-2008, 07:46 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Here is a example of what I mean my "dark" elements :

DS , ISO 200 , F19 , 7/10s , kit lens at 33mm . Tripod , cable switch , cloth on view finder .

Your first image is much better than mine . I couldn't even see what the heck I was taking !!
06-09-2008, 09:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I found that most of my IR shots looked pretty bad when taken on overcast days. Clear skies will yield much better results.

Covering the view finder is a new one for me. I never did that. I'll have to give it a try.

If you're interested I wrote up something on my IR processing techniques, see > Frank's Intro to Digital Infrared Photography

Here's my take on one of your shots.

Last edited by xs400; 08-22-2008 at 03:53 PM.
06-09-2008, 11:54 PM   #5
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cool Dave,

I've given IR a couple of times looking for the right 'look'. I've found not all landscapes and weather conditions are appropriate. My best result so far have been in cloud-free and greeny landscapes but I'm far from knowing what's right for IR.

You can also try either setting your colour balance to 2000K on camera or on PP and seeing how the colours turn out. Then as suggested try adjusting exposure and contrast, and playing around with selective colouring to taste.

See how you go and keep us posted!
06-10-2008, 05:02 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Tran / Fran / Ash - it has been miserable here weather wise and I have been itching to get out and try some. There are some invaluable tips. Tran / Frank your processing of my images look much better than what I did so I have hope !

Frank a great link for PP I have it booked marked. I am curious Tran you always suggest low ISO and Frank you suggest ISO 400 or better. I would assume the higher ISO is purley for shutter speed ? With a tripod this would be a moot point ?

Again thanks for the tips ! Hopefully it will clear up here soon.

Last edited by daacon; 06-10-2008 at 05:15 AM.
06-10-2008, 08:32 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Thanks Tran / Fran / Ash - it has been miserable here weather wise and I have been itching to get out and try some. There are some invaluable tips. Tran / Frank your processing of my images look much better than what I did so I have hope !

Frank a great link for PP I have it booked marked. I am curious Tran you always suggest low ISO and Frank you suggest ISO 400 or better. I would assume the higher ISO is purley for shutter speed ? With a tripod this would be a moot point ?

Again thanks for the tips ! Hopefully it will clear up here soon.
I hope my link helps with your IR work. I haven't updated that link in a while, I'll have to check it and make any necessary changes.

Regarding the ISO, you are correct, I was shooting 400 and above so I would get faster shutter speeds. In retrospect, ISO 200 or 400 would probably be a better choice.

06-10-2008, 11:28 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Dave

Frank is correct . Lower ISO needs more speed but you get much less noise and more details in your image .

For example , this was taken on K10D w/ FA50/1.4 , ISO 100 , F16 at 108s .

Frank , Ash : Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this . And Frank's guide on IR is quite impressive .

Tran