Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
South Street Seaport
Lens: Smc Pentax-M 28mm f/2.8 Camera: Pentax K-50 Photo Location: New York City 
Posted By: oculus, 05-21-2015, 05:05 AM

Brooklyn Bridge can be seen in the background.

Off to old Manhatto again tomorrow! Excited to try out my new DA 20-40 on the streets I've only had it a day but I really love its dark contrasts for bw conversions. It's cliche, but there's something "Leica-like" about the rendering of this lens. This week is "Fleet Week" in New York, which means several navy vessels are docked and sailors in their whites will be swarming the town.

Last edited by oculus; 07-18-2015 at 06:38 AM.
Views: 1,029
05-22-2015, 05:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
Excited to try out my new DA 20-40 on the streets

Good to see the Volvo of the Limited lineup (or is that "Cadillac of minivans" as Chili Palmer might say?) get some street cred...I'll be very interested in any theories you have about what makes a great B&W lens.
05-22-2015, 06:37 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Dude, you keep taking photos near my office! Are you available for a PentaxForums meetup? Mon-Fri morning coffee or lunch would be good, or a Fri evening.

If we agree on a time we can then post it to the very inactive NY metro subforum to get more. I have yet to meet a PF member in person.
05-23-2015, 11:14 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CreationBear Quote
Good to see the Volvo of the Limited lineup (or is that "Cadillac of minivans" as Chili Palmer might say?) get some street cred...I'll be very interested in any theories you have about what makes a great B&W lens.
I like the Volvo analogy (at least, prior to 1993). Built like a tank, will withstand the elements, and not too fast. Reminds me of my old 240. Time will tell if it runs forever.

As far as a good bw lens, I have no universal theories, since "what looks good" tends to be highly subjective; for me, I like the rendering of this lens because of the contrast, which transfers nicely into bw without much need for PP tweaking. The OOF areas are also very creamy, which looks lovely in mono.

---------- Post added 05-23-15 at 02:15 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Dude, you keep taking photos near my office! Are you available for a PentaxForums meetup? Mon-Fri morning coffee or lunch would be good, or a Fri evening.

If we agree on a time we can then post it to the very inactive NY metro subforum to get more. I have yet to meet a PF member in person.
I'm in NY usually once or twice a week. PM me.

05-24-2015, 06:29 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A great composition - a bit mysterious in a way. Have fun with your new lens.

Jer
05-24-2015, 06:51 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
A great composition - a bit mysterious in a way. Have fun with your new lens.
Thanks, Jerry. I always appreciate your replies. There's always a learning curve with a new lens, at least for an amateur like myself. I'm fairly happy with the results, but I will learn from my mistake and make better pictures next time.
05-24-2015, 07:02 AM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
That's some size of vessel, really like the POV on this one, especially with the foreground person to really give it scale.

05-24-2015, 02:57 PM   #8

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice!