Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  
A_Photographing_Moose_Kind_of_DAY
Posted By: normhead, 05-24-2015, 03:06 PM

We went over to the Portage Store Restaurant for Lunch, and watched the prerequisite rookie dump into the cold water. On the way back we saw 4 moose, so here ya go, shooting moose, Algonquin Style.

Experienced photographer tries desperately to avoid photobombing my picture, not realizing, she was in my picture.

All in a day's work.

Last edited by normhead; 05-24-2015 at 03:13 PM.
Views: 1,766
05-25-2015, 11:15 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice shots, the first and last are classics! I'm surprised by the crowds though, I would have thought people living up there would have seen thousands of these guys by now!

05-26-2015, 05:56 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GeoJerry Quote
Nice shots, the first and last are classics! I'm surprised by the crowds though, I would have thought people living up there would have seen thousands of these guys by now!
In my Township, South Algonquin, we have 2000 people. There is 1.5 square KM for each person in the township. The other side of the park is maybe double that. Almost all these people in these pictures have driven in from somewhere else to enjoy the park and see the wildlife. The locals, except for a few photographers, just drive by, and sometimes honk because they have to slow down. People drive from as far away as Toronto 3.5 hours away to spend an afternoon in the park, then drive home the same night. One of the amazing things about the park is that even though it's larger than a few American States, it has almost no permanent residents, and is within 3 hours of 6 million people. When you consider how close it is to Toronto, it's not really surprising that on a sunny Sunday, people drive up for the day.
05-26-2015, 07:25 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You have got to love a moose. One of those animals that we will always stop for. Of course, not so much in South Carolina. Thanks for the post Norm.
05-26-2015, 07:35 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for commenting slowpez

05-26-2015, 08:17 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Nice series Norm. The crowd adds an unusual angle, but loses some of the drama. Do you ever wish one of them would get kicked by the animal for crowding it?

I saw four moose on Saturday just south of Sudbury. They were looking mangy. Do you think the missing hair is from trying to rub off winter ticks?

05-28-2015, 07:40 AM   #21
Forum Member

Great shots but I must admit that I wouldn't have dared getting out and be so close to a wild moose, those things can kick hard. Or perhaps it's just the Swedish moose's that are grumpy.

I can see the reason for photo number 3, nice lens...
05-28-2015, 07:58 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Nice series Norm. The crowd adds an unusual angle, but loses some of the drama. Do you ever wish one of them would get kicked by the animal for crowding it?

I saw four moose on Saturday just south of Sudbury. They were looking mangy. Do you think the missing hair is from trying to rub off winter ticks?
They do rub a bit... but the big thing this year is I don't see any ticks. The last few years they have been covered with ticks to the point where I haven't wanted to post pictures. I'm much happier this year. I haven't seen a tick hanging off a moose yet. I think the brutal winter we experienced seriously reduced the tick population. You have to realize I'm shooting pretty long in these images, the people aren't that close, certainly not close enough to get kicked.

QuoteOriginally posted by Samoht Quote
Great shots but I must admit that I wouldn't have dared getting out and be so close to a wild moose, those things can kick hard. Or perhaps it's just the Swedish moose's that are grumpy.

I can see the reason for photo number 3, nice lens...
People are a lot braver when there's a group, and a lot more intimidating for the moose. And they really don't spook much because of people. I had a convoy of 3 canoes halted once by a moose who wouldn't move off the creek we were paddling. We sat for 15 minutes while he finished the hors doovers and moved on for the main course.

The only time I've seen someone have a near death experience with a wild animal was in Yellowstone.. some guy walked right up to a Bison... it swung it's head with such force it did some serious damage. These people are no where near close enough to get kicked.. and it's not rutting season, so the animals are pretty docile.

You don't want to stand next to them... but 100 feet away is fine. I could have shot most of these with the DA 18-135.

Last edited by normhead; 05-28-2015 at 08:24 AM.