Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
A Serious Conversation
Lens: HD PENTAX-DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 ED Limited DC WR Camera: Pentax K-50 Photo Location: New York City 
Posted By: oculus, 05-27-2015, 03:36 AM

I remember these fellows were having a rather serious conversation as I was passing by.

Last edited by oculus; 07-18-2015 at 06:38 AM.
Views: 1,143
05-27-2015, 05:02 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Lots of drama in this one. Lots of energy too.

Jer
05-27-2015, 08:24 AM   #3
Veteran Member

"....I can tell you I don't have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career."

Great moment! FWIW, I was wondering if you'd ever considered an Oly for your street shooting? I came across a Ming Thein post where he mentions the OM-D's abilities for monochrome in low-contrast situations (ironically because of its lack of tonal range). I could see where the articulating EVF could come in handy as well, though of course to look the part you'd have to drop a lot of money on a new fixie and a stack of skinny jeans.

05-27-2015, 12:58 PM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Aye the lad on the left does look fairly intense...

05-28-2015, 05:31 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CreationBear Quote
"....I can tell you I don't have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career."

Great moment! FWIW, I was wondering if you'd ever considered an Oly for your street shooting? I came across a Ming Thein post where he mentions the OM-D's abilities for monochrome in low-contrast situations (ironically because of its lack of tonal range). I could see where the articulating EVF could come in handy as well, though of course to look the part you'd have to drop a lot of money on a new fixie and a stack of skinny jeans.

I was wondering if you'd ever considered an Oly for your street shooting?
I used to shoot with a Fuji x100s, but I found that the aesthetics of the camera were like voice shouting through a megaphone to everyone around me: "ACHTUNG! STREET SHOOTER!" I think I would have the same issue with the Oly. I don't want to look like a sophisticated photographer when I am shooting. I want to look as much like a tourist as I can.
05-28-2015, 08:48 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by oculus Quote
I used to shoot with a Fuji x100s

Ah, the agenbite of inwit... At any rate, it's really fun to see you sift through your kit as you refine your approach...I still think you're going to end up with an K/A 20mm on one body and a 135(ish) lens on another for when you're able to "spot and stalk," but then it's your spinal stenosis we're talking about, and none of my own.
05-28-2015, 12:16 PM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
you're going to end up with an K/A 20mm on one body and a 135(ish) lens on another
Have we met?

That's my MO to a tee, right down to focal lengths.

05-28-2015, 01:59 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
That's my MO

Ha, but the real question is: which one pays the rent?
05-28-2015, 02:39 PM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

which one pays the rent?
Good question, so I went off and interrogated Lightroom for the answer... Over the last 10350 Pentax images shot, 969 were on "Good Lady” (SMC Pentax-A 20mm F2.8) and 3000 were on "Lady Luck” (SMC Pentax-A* 135mm F1.8).

That having been said the "Good Lady” is a recent new Lady to me, so she has not hit the streets as often. So adding in the “Mistress" (SMC Pentax-A 15mm F3.5) to the mix, which the "Good Lady” has kinda replaced at the moment... that adds another 1145 to the wider end tally, so the difference is not so great, only a 1000 odd images between them. Coupled with the fact that "Lady Luck” does also tend to get used for lots of other stuff too, apart from just street work.

This coupled to the fact that my photo style has changed to being more "up close and personal" I expect the wider tally to continue to increase in size.
05-28-2015, 04:21 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Very interesting...it seems as if the stats indicate your "Sweetheart" should be up for sale soon, no? You wouldn't want to argue with science.
05-29-2015, 01:03 PM   #11
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

it seems as if the stats indicate your "Sweetheart" should be up for sale
Aye she only weighs in with a miserly 725 images.

Also with the forthcoming FF camera, she will still start to see more use, as the lenses will all take a step to the left in use.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 05-29-2015 at 01:11 PM.