Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Boys of Summer
Posted By: mel, 06-10-2008, 05:06 PM

Of a smallish sort. And one girl too. This is for all the other little league parents out there. My turn to share. I've been so focused on soccer that I haven't shared any of my baseball shots. So here's a few from our season.

I usually sit on top of one of the dugouts as the entire field is encased in high chainlink fencing. The first shot is from a 1pm game. The others were from an evening game so their faces were starting to become shadowed as the sun got lower.

Not the best image quality and not always the best focus but I wanted to post a few of the funnier shots so we can all remember our respective seasons with fondness

Enjoy, and until next season . . .

Views: 2,098
06-10-2008, 06:52 PM   #2
Damn Brit

I really like the first shot Mel, he looks as focused as you were.
Gary
06-10-2008, 07:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great shots Mel!!!! it is amazing the faces the kids make during the game. Very impressed with the exposure and sharpness of these shots. What lens did you use?
06-11-2008, 02:52 AM   #4
mel
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks Gary and Pat.

In the first one it was a game at 1pm like I said and it was about 96 degrees F that day. I only lasted about 4 innings on top of the dugout as it was covered with black roofing material and I was melting up there.

The lens I use for all my sports shooting is my Quantaray 70-300 1:4-5.6. It's about 7 years old I think and I got it originally to use with my film cameras. It's not the best I'm sure and I don't think it was a very expensive lens (gift from hubby). But it's all I have right now.

LBA is hitting hard but alas, there are no funds to support it currently. Unfortunately the children have grown to expect food on a daily basis.

And Pat - if you absolutely cannot get enough of little people baseball, I have about 100 of these on my flickr site (click the link) that I put up for the players' parents to see and download. There's so many because I tried to make sure there was a couple of each kid. Except I have a hard time telling them apart with batting helmets on. I have to go by the shoes.

06-11-2008, 03:08 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Very nice shots, mel! Great light and colors! And very interesting captured moments..
06-11-2008, 03:51 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I enjoyed your shots, mel, they look like the games I go to!

QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote

LBA is hitting hard but alas, there are no funds to support it currently. Unfortunately the children have grown to expect food on a daily basis.
yup, I know this situation well....
06-11-2008, 05:08 AM   #7
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Kjast and Tim.

I really enjoy the games for their humor value. It's always an acheivement when they actually catch the ball without it hitting the ground first!

Thanks for looking.

06-11-2008, 10:08 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Mel, nice pics. I like the 3rd one where #4 is jumping in. There are 2 team mates, plus the runner, already there. He has such air that he looks like he jumped from the pitcher's mound.

BTW, do you guys play on those fields at the intersection of Nokesville Road and Godwin Blvd.?
06-11-2008, 11:05 AM   #9
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
Mel, nice pics. I like the 3rd one where #4 is jumping in. There are 2 team mates, plus the runner, already there. He has such air that he looks like he jumped from the pitcher's mound.

BTW, do you guys play on those fields at the intersection of Nokesville Road and Godwin Blvd.?
Thanks.

That kid was a crack up. He wasn't jumping in, he was just jumping. He was always jumping. I have a bunch of shots from the field, where he's in the picture, not involved in the action, but airborn nonetheless. Or making some kind of very excited motion with his arms. He was such an exuberant kid. It was hilarious.

No, these are the fields by the landfill. Baseball at the landfill. Nice, with the garbage trucks rumbling by. They are pretty nice fields though and now that they rerouted 234 it doesn't feel so much like you're at the dump playing ball.

Thanks for looking!
06-11-2008, 11:46 AM   #10
Veteran Member

What others have said, also like the first shot, and the fourth, where he prepares to catch the ball which you can also see in the corner coming!

Great action, almost like they were from those nice base ball cards, professional posing...
06-11-2008, 03:56 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Nice shots...looks like you had as much fun as the kids...
06-11-2008, 03:57 PM   #12
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gawan Quote
What others have said, also like the first shot, and the fourth, where he prepares to catch the ball which you can also see in the corner coming!

Great action, almost like they were from those nice base ball cards, professional posing...
Wow thank you!!

Now that we're all finished with sports for the summer I have no idea what I'm going to do with myself . . .

It makes me kind of sad really.

Maybe I'll take the ones of my kids and make my own baseball cards. That ought to keep me busy for a day at least
06-11-2008, 05:31 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Some great stop action shots Mel. Looks like they were having a great time.
06-11-2008, 05:38 PM   #14
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

These are all great!. I really like the 2nd. The catcher appears to be trying to 'fake' out the runner while the ball is off to the left. 3 and 4 are great moments as well. Excellent work. The lens is doing just fine in your hands.
06-11-2008, 05:58 PM   #15
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Eastern Shore Charlie Quote
Nice shots...looks like you had as much fun as the kids...
QuoteOriginally posted by Techiechick Quote
Some great stop action shots Mel. Looks like they were having a great time.
Thanks! They seem to have a great time. I have fun on top of the dugout. I have the best view of the field and don't have to deal with the other parents which can be a huge bonus!

It can get rather hot though. The last game it was about 96 degrees and the roof of the dugout is covered in black roofing material. I melted after 4 innings.

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
These are all great!. I really like the 2nd. The catcher appears to be trying to 'fake' out the runner while the ball is off to the left. 3 and 4 are great moments as well. Excellent work. The lens is doing just fine in your hands.
Thank you! Actually the catcher (who is one of my twins) is totally missing a pretty bad throw. They are so funny to watch.