Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Newseum (a must when in Washington DC visit for a photographer)
Posted By: palmor, 06-11-2008, 05:54 AM

Hi everyone,
I was down in Washington D.C. a couple of weeks ago (may remember my Manny Ramirez's 500th home run photos) and we visited a new museum called the Newseum. In addition to just having some incredible exhibits (part of the Berlin wall, section from one of the World Trade Center towers from 9-11) they had a section on all the Pulitzer Prize-winning photographs ever taken.

This exhibit was extremely moving. In addition to just the photos, a lot had a few paragraphs describing what was going on during the photo. Reading about the photo and the affect it had on the photographer really hit you. In one case it was implied that the events of the photo actually lead to the photographers eventual suicide. They also have video clips of some of the photographers talking about their photos.

This exhibit alone was worth the price of admission, so if you're in DC check it out.
Of course you couldn't take photos here but you could in other parts of the museum. Unfortunately we got there with only about an hour until close so we had to really rush though it, it is someplace I'll be going back to.

Another moving exhibit (at least for me) was the 9-11 exhibit. They had the top of one of the towers. Along with this they had copies of just about every newspaper around the world displayed.

This is the section that is on display. The photo is a little bit misleading, this section is ~3 floors high.

Looking down from the top floor:

A look at the wall with all the copies of the newspapers reporting the attack.

A section of the Berlin wall.. I'd never thought I'd see it in person

Another cool exhibit was a room filled with original newspapers describing historic events. At this point the museum was already closed so I went to find this one. I realized later that photography wasn't allowed so this was kind of a no-no (there where multiple entrances to this exhibit and there was no sign on our entrance but there was on the other side.. didnt' see it until we exited). I at least was smart enough to realize that flashes would be a big NO-NO.

This is an original copy of the Pennsylvania Evening Post reporting on the separation of the US from England and the Deceleration of Independence. Of course probably only really interesting for US citizens.

On the top floor they have a nice balcony over looking the city with a great view of the capital building.

Thanks
John
Views: 1,284
06-11-2008, 06:52 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I was a bit skeptical about the Newseum, but after talking to some people who had gone, I gave it a go and you're right, the Pulitzer Prize Photography was worth the price of admission. Really great stuff. I like your different perspectives on the 911 exhibit. Your Washington Monument and Capitol shots are good too... I see some were taken at 17mm @ 2.8... sigma 17-50 or is it the tamron? nice rendering...
06-11-2008, 07:30 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Another addition to 'must see places'. Thanks for the post & photos.
06-11-2008, 08:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for commenting everyone!

QuoteOriginally posted by vagrant10 Quote
I like your different perspectives on the 911 exhibit. Your Washington Monument and Capitol shots are good too... I see some were taken at 17mm @ 2.8... sigma 17-50 or is it the tamron? nice rendering...
Actually those where taken with the Sigma 17-70 lens, just about the perfect walk around lens IMO

John