Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Some cats are bigger than others ......
Lens: DA* 60-250 Camera: K5IIS Photo Location: Calgary, Alberta ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/640s Aperture: F4.8 
Posted By: daacon, 06-08-2015, 12:37 PM

As much as I would like to say this was seen while I was hiking the back country in the Alberta Wilds , this was taken at the Calgary Zoo. Either way it's a big ass cat !

click in image twice for larger view

Views: 1,341
06-08-2015, 01:28 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Impressive animal!
06-08-2015, 01:32 PM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Need more than just one sachet of cat food for that beast.

A great shot, just look at the size of those paws.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 06-08-2015 at 03:31 PM.
06-09-2015, 07:49 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fries Quote
Impressive animal!
Thanks Fries indeed the cougar is one impressive beast.

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Need more than just one sachet of cat food for that beast.
A great shot, just look at the size of those paws.
Thanks Kerrowdown - yep one swipe from those and all your troubles go away

06-09-2015, 09:15 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

much safer to view as you did than being surprised on a trail stalking you.
06-09-2015, 09:19 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice! We have some around here and I get nervous from time to time on my adventures when I'm alone and I feel like I'm being watched!
06-09-2015, 08:21 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
much safer to view as you did than being surprised on a trail stalking you.
Yep would not want to run into that cat in the wild.

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
Nice! We have some around here and I get nervous from time to time on my adventures when I'm alone and I feel like I'm being watched!
Thanks matt they are native to Alberta as well never seen one in the wild which like you say is probably a good thing.

06-10-2015, 09:41 PM   #8
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Nice shot Dave....and a better way to view one. Several years ago I was in a ravine at Big Bend and turned a bend to come almost face to face with a Cougar at least that large...although at the time he appeared twice as large. Luckily, he was as shocked as I was and we both turned and went different directions. If it had been the female with cubs...I wouldn't be here today, no doubt. It was pretty scary.

Regards!
06-12-2015, 04:38 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Nice shot Dave....and a better way to view one. Several years ago I was in a ravine at Big Bend and turned a bend to come almost face to face with a Cougar at least that large...although at the time he appeared twice as large. Luckily, he was as shocked as I was and we both turned and went different directions. If it had been the female with cubs...I wouldn't be here today, no doubt. It was pretty scary.
Regards!
Thanks Rupert I have seen a lynx in the wild never a cougar that would be a frightening encounter for sure.
06-12-2015, 06:44 AM   #10
Pentaxian

It's tough to get to see those guys when they aren't in zoos.
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Thanks matt they are native to Alberta as well never seen one in the wild which like you say is probably a good thing.
My grandson's father caught two of them accidentally in his trapline in coyote traps. He reported it to the proper authorities explaining they were both mistakes, and that the traps were legal coyote traps, but it didn't matter. He was fined several thousand dollars. He's decided he won't be self reporting if it happens again. They are up near Slave Lake.

For him to get two, there must be a few up that way.
06-12-2015, 02:15 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice zoo shot, Dave. I owned a cougar in the '60s; it was genetically related to both the mustang line and the falcon line. Ain't zoology fun?

Jer
06-12-2015, 03:46 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My wife has seen one near here. Scared her pretty good! They say it's the ones you don't see that are the threat. If you see it first, it's probably not hunting.
I've seen a lot of tracks and seen some that had been shot by hunters (there's a season) but have never gotten my big wild cat sighting. I hope I'm ready with my camera if I ever do!
06-13-2015, 01:47 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Nice shot! If you jumped the fence you could have gotten closer!!!!! signs do not matter.
Good Job.
06-21-2015, 05:56 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
It's tough to get to see those guys when they aren't in zoos.
My grandson's father caught two of them accidentally in his trapline in coyote traps. He reported it to the proper authorities explaining they were both mistakes, and that the traps were legal coyote traps, but it didn't matter. He was fined several thousand dollars. He's decided he won't be self reporting if it happens again. They are up near Slave Lake.
For him to get two, there must be a few up that way.
Wow Norm that story coud have ended very differently ...but yeah some common sense by Parks and Rec would have been nice,,,,, do they have a Cougar do not enter sign sheeshh

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Nice zoo shot, Dave. I owned a cougar in the '60s; it was genetically related to both the mustang line and the falcon line. Ain't zoology fun?
Jer
That's a beautiful beast of another species my friend.

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
My wife has seen one near here. Scared her pretty good! They say it's the ones you don't see that are the threat. If you see it first, it's probably not hunting.
I've seen a lot of tracks and seen some that had been shot by hunters (there's a season) but have never gotten my big wild cat sighting. I hope I'm ready with my camera if I ever do!
Wow Matt be carefull indeed they are a damn good predator.

QuoteOriginally posted by theoicarry Quote
Nice shot! If you jumped the fence you could have gotten closer!!!!! signs do not matter.
Good Job.
hah thanks it would have been a great shot, perhaps my last shot though ..............
12-30-2019, 09:04 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
As much as I would like to say this was seen while I was hiking the back country in the Alberta Wilds , this was taken at the Calgary Zoo. Either way it's a big ass cat !

click in image twice for larger view
Good timing, nice shoot.