Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Dinghies
Lens: 16-85 & 55-300 Camera: K-5 & K200D Photo Location: Royan, France 
Posted By: nono, 06-13-2015, 01:38 PM

First time I shot dinghy sailing was two weeks ago. This was the last regatta of a local championship; 45-50 boats (mostly Lasers, with a couple 420s and three RSes) in ten races over two days.

I am becoming quite used to shooting larger sailships, but those small ones are quite different. For one thing, there are a lot more of them; most yachting races I shot had 10-15 boats, not 50. The races are also much shorter; typically, the fastest boats finished a race in 20 minutes, the slowest in 35 minutes. All in all, this meant a lot of shots; I had more than 2500 over the week-end.

This was also the first time I really used my new 16-85; I am quite happy with the results.

Here are a few shots from the event; there are more in this gallery.

Views: 710
06-13-2015, 04:08 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
Great series.
I especially like the 1st and last. I used to race back in the day......

Scott
06-14-2015, 03:06 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Wow that looks like a difficult shoot. Are you in a dinghy with an outboard motor and are you free to roam about for the best angles? Or are you along for the ride in someone elses boat, perhaps the commisaire boat?

Regards,
--Anders.
06-14-2015, 01:57 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for your comments. I was in one of the Zodiacs they use for setting buoys. We had to keep close to one of the marks whenever something was happening in the area, but we could (and did) move around when the dinghies were not there.