Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Some days in Lodz
Lens: Sigma 2.8 17-55 Camera: K-5 Photo Location: Lodz, Poland 
Posted By: rojaba, 06-21-2015, 02:16 AM

In a somewhat work related exercise, I recently travelled to Lodz (pronounced Woodsh) in Poland. Because of the industrial heritage, the local guidebooks refer to Lodz as the Manchester of Poland, though I think that's a bit unfair to Manchester. While the rest of Poland (places like Warsaw, Gdansk, Gdynia and Krakow) is modern and shiny, Lodz is still a few steps behind and also lacks the charming medieval city centres. In a way that's quite special, as there are fewer and fewer places like this. With construction of an entirely new city centre underway, Lodz won't be the same either in a decade's time. Took the K-5 for a spin. Hope you like the outcome.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Last edited by rojaba; 06-21-2015 at 02:18 AM. Reason: fooled myself into thinking I had a K-3... I don't...
Views: 892
06-21-2015, 02:31 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great job with camera and PP. Very interesting buildings and city, would be a shame to loose all these buildings.
06-21-2015, 03:00 AM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
Lodz is still a few steps behind
Great shots, not quite so keen myself on selective colouring, I'd go for real grungy (with added grain) B&W with great scenes like this.

I'd like to get in amongst it there too, are you free to photograph wherever?
06-21-2015, 04:10 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
yes, though the city is quite run down (there are some parts of urban redevelopment such as the shopping mall/ entertainment area called Manufaktura in an abandoned factory) I felt quite comfortable walking around with my kit on full display. The people who live there are quite middle class

06-21-2015, 04:12 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Though I usually don't care for selective coloring, your pictures are examples of how to do it right.
Yes, you the photographer are deciding what details the eye should be drawn to, but after examining the pictures intently, those colored objects ARE what makes the photo worth taking. Presented entirely in color, or B&W, they would be less interesting pictures.

I noticed that large murals are more common on the buildings in Eastern Europe, and I like them, they are much more interesting than flat slabs of glass or concrete.

I haven't been to Lodz, but I am going to Krakow, next month, I really like that city.

Between Warsaw and Krakow, I always felt safe to walk around with a camera.
06-21-2015, 04:12 AM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by rojaba Quote
The people who live there are quite middle class
No I didn't mean that, I was asking about permissions to photograph, or is the there lots of red tape and bureaucracy to go through?
06-21-2015, 04:18 AM   #7

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
No, I don't think you need police permission to take pictures of the streets and buildings

06-21-2015, 04:26 AM   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rojaba Quote
I don't think you need police permission to take pictures of the streets and buildings
Ok thanks for that, I'll check it out in more detail if I get a chance to get there.