Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Elk photos... in JPEG... courtesy of the K10D... (approx. 800KB)
Posted By: Marc Langille, 02-05-2007, 06:23 PM

and some serious reach... 8-)

Wow, I actually got outside this AM to take some photos - first time in over a month... It's been over a month because preparation for my exhibits took up all my time!

Taken with the FA* 300/2.8 and the Pentax Rear Converter-A 2XS for a total of 600/5.6. Mounted on a monopod. Shot in JPEG (unless otherwise specified), bright mode, no mods on the settings. EXIF is also in the photos. Here are are several standouts for me...

This first one was shot in DNG... conditions were terrible for this shot. Note the high ISO and low shutter speed in the early morning mist/haze!

Majestic Male
- taken at F/5.6, 1/125 sec., ISO 800:

Watchful Pair - taken at F/5.6, 1/250 sec., ISO 400:

Young Male (aka Spike or Yearling) - taken at F/5.6, 1/350 sec., ISO 400:

Two Heads... - taken at F/5.6, 1/500 sec., ISO 400:

The closest I got today was about 250-300 feet away. I did it downwind and crosswind to ensure they didn't scent me or my buddy. The nice part is that we were in the open field with them, and it was a brisk 16F or -9C... ;-)

I hope you enjoy them!

Regards,
Marc

Last edited by Marc Langille; 02-05-2007 at 06:57 PM. Reason: indicate total file size as courtesy to those on dial up...
Views: 2,939
02-06-2007, 02:53 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Alan, Alvin and LaRee...

QuoteOriginally posted by Alvin Quote
Wow! Marc, you went hunting and brought home some trophies! My favourites are 2 and 4, but all were very well captured! I am amazed that you were about 75 metres away and they didn't run when they saw the glass pointed at them.
Thank you all for the kind words. There's a few early mornings to get these shots!

Yes, the FA* 300/2.8 looks like a small cannon when you attach the camera+grip to it... I too am surpised they didn't run away...

02-06-2007, 04:52 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
James and Dan...

QuoteOriginally posted by Roentarre;:
Amazing series of shots, Marc. They will be included in your exhibition too?

They are pretty calm, aren't they? Not scared of your Fa* 300mm f2.8 I bet...

Nice works

James
Thanks James! I appreciate the feedback. I was very skeptical about the image quality, but these and a few more are definite keepers. I am convinced the 2X-S is a gem in terms of quality. It was worth the cold day...

Regarding your question: unless I change out a few, probably they'll go into the second exhibit in the late summer.

QuoteOriginally posted by Photodan Quote
#2 just blows me away. Marc, you've done it again.

I wasn't even aware of elk in Arkansas. Haven't really seen the Buffalo River area yet but your images make me want to go this morning.

Thanks as usual
Dan, you humble me - I just love taking the pictures. These creatures are my sporting challenge... besides, I have to get almost as close as a bow hunter to get these shots. I don't have camouflaged clothing either... just lots of dark or black clothes... hmm, maybe it's time to change to "cammos"...

The Buffalo River is really nice - you'll enjoy it! If I understand correctly, the peak for seeing Elk has been reached, and it becomes more hit and miss for a little while.
02-06-2007, 04:53 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
thank you sir...

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Marc, stunning as usual, I especially like the second. A "framer" for sure!

NaCl(thanks for sharing)H2O
I really didn't have high expectations, given the relatively long focal length and low shutter speeds, even at ISO 800!
02-07-2007, 10:46 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Matthew and V.

QuoteOriginally posted by Photochop Quote
What a gorgeous set! The first one has an almost film like grain to it, I like it but the second one takes the cake. Very well done.
Thank you both for the feedback. I wasn't sure about #1, but now I really like the pose for the picture that male did...