Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Amazing Flower
Posted By: monochrome, 06-12-2008, 05:02 PM

Definitely not monochrome. I claim no skill nor composition expertise, but you've gotta see this flower! Sharpness issue for the bottom half is, I beleive, a result of the jpeg conversion - the tiff is very sharp.

Views: 3,187
06-12-2008, 05:49 PM   #2

very nice, looks like a beak of a tucan...
06-12-2008, 05:55 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Where was this? Shaws garden? Botanical Garden? Would love to check those places out, never been there, and lived here all my life, lol
06-12-2008, 06:22 PM   #4
Damn Brit

Looks like a Heliconia Wagneriana. It also looks like it is upside down, or it is tall and has started drooping down. One common name for it is Lobster Claw.
Gary

06-12-2008, 06:53 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Orientation

The flowers on this tree were all oriented hanging down like this.

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Looks like a Heliconia Wagneriana. It also looks like it is upside down, or it is tall and has started drooping down. One common name for it is Lobster Claw.
Gary
06-12-2008, 06:55 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Mizner Courtyard - Boca Raton Resort & CLub

Stratman: I wish it was at the Botanical Garden.

I worked there summers in college in the production greenhouses - saw lots of neat stuff.

One year I had to get DEA Certified because some botanist had a grant to grow opium poppies and peyote for the DEA. Much of the stuff I built and maintained was removed about ten years ago when the new entry building was constructed - very sad.

There's a ton of stuff to shoot there, but hard to get wide a shot without stray visitors in it.

This was shot at the Boca Raton Resort and Club in the Mizener Courtyard, a small conservatory of exotic botanical plants such as banyan trees and kapok trees. Not many had identifying plaques - this one didn't.

QuoteOriginally posted by Stratman Quote
Where was this? Shaws garden? Botanical Garden? Would love to check those places out, never been there, and lived here all my life, lol