Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
9 Likes  
DIY-the-forum-may-never-be-the-same
Posted By: normhead, 06-24-2015, 10:38 AM

So, we can't go anywhere like the park because Tess is painting the roof, and she wanted a picture of herself up there. Being the resident photographer in charge of documentary images , I of course felt obligated to get out my gear...

After taking the image I was walking around the yard throwing the ball to the dogs when I saw a little toad. I ran in the house and got the Tamron 90 macro with the 1.4 converter, but, I couldn't get close enough to the little guy. ( I was even wearing my camo T-shirt, what gives?) After a number of brutal attempts, I was even considering setting up my blind, when I had a brilliant idea. "Mount the camera on my monopod and shoot in live view with the remote.... I can get the camera close, without being close to the toad, because I seem to scare him." Ya, ya, I scare lots of people, no need to go on about it...

I went and got my remote , which didn't work.. must be out of battery and was about to give up, when I thought. "Didn't I win a remote for being the most obnoxious poster of the day (or something like that) a while ago? I'm sure Adam sent me one." SO scramble scramble dig , dig, I found an un-opened remote in the camera cabinet.. Thank you Adam. And my method worked. This little guy is about twice the size of your thumb nail.

Well I had the Tamron on the K-3, mounted on the mono-pod, so of course there had to be at least one garden flower image...

Yesterday I was doing Fisheye images of the dogs....

And I thought, "I wonder if I put the fisheye on the camera and used the monopod and remote to stick the camera in their faces could I get even closer images..."

And then out of the blue, the thought came to me "SELFIE STICK... OH NOOOOOOOOOOO"
The "oh no" part came with the realization that I now had the ability to flood the internet with images of me, and that with great power comes great responsibility. I don't know if I'm ready, or worthy. I just know that fate has put this great power into my hands for better or worse, and that the universe is unfolding as it should.

Selfie at 15mm

Selfie at 10mm

I've always considered one of the advantages of me being the photographer was that I'm not in the pictures. I can't guarantee that in the future that will be the case. You've been warned... be afraid... be very afraid.

The forum may never be the same again.

Last edited by normhead; 06-24-2015 at 04:25 PM.
Views: 2,542
06-26-2015, 01:18 AM   #16

Photos: Albums
Nixe photos! I'm surprised that the dogs didn't see the stick as an invitation to play... Your camera would make an expensive dog toy.

06-26-2015, 03:25 AM   #17

ha :-D you made my day
06-26-2015, 01:08 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by antipattern Quote
Nixe photos! I'm surprised that the dogs didn't see the stick as an invitation to play... Your camera would make an expensive dog toy.
My dogs don't lunge at toys. I have to put it right in front of them, to make sure they understand it's for play. The camera wasn't in the right position. I was are, thanks for your concern.

QuoteOriginally posted by Bromberger Quote
ha :-D you made my day
I try.... well, actually I was just amusing myself, but hey... sometimes what I find amusing, other people find amusing too... thanks for commenting.
06-26-2015, 01:14 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Thank you for sharing the pics and the hilarious commentary.
Made my day by giving me some laughs when things in the office were getting a little too annoying!

06-26-2015, 02:58 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote
Thank you for sharing the pics and the hilarious commentary.
Made my day by giving me some laughs when things in the office were getting a little too annoying!
I do my best to dispel annoying... at least when I'm not being annoying....
06-29-2015, 11:23 AM   #21

Norm, I like your back yard. There is a lot said about sitting on a porch and NOT hearing your neighbors air conditioner running.
Theo
06-29-2015, 12:05 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by theoicarry Quote
Norm, I like your back yard. There is a lot said about sitting on a porch and NOT hearing your neighbors air conditioner running.
Theo
Looking out over the cabin where Tess is working, there are no neighbours for probably 50-70 miles. Not one house, highway or store. Fortunately there are enough old logging roads we don't get lost in the bush back there.
06-29-2015, 01:10 PM   #23
PEG Gallery Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Hielands o' Scootlund....... Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand................William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
50-70 miles. Not one house, highway or store
In that case it's a bugger when you run out milk... or do you have a tethered Goat somewhere.

06-29-2015, 04:35 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
In that case it's a bugger when you run out milk... or do you have a tethered Goat somewhere.

That is walking north, walking south it's less than a KM to the post office, liquor store and grocery store. and pharmacy. But, I've always thought a pet goat would be cool. The border collies could herd him.
06-30-2015, 03:27 AM   #25
PEG Gallery Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Hielands o' Scootlund....... Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand................William Blake
border collies could herd him
But you'll need a "her" goat (Doe or Nanny) for the milking.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 06-30-2015 at 07:40 AM.
06-30-2015, 04:35 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My monopod falls over when I try to use it remotely.

And I second Kerrowdown's opinion on the need for 'her' goat.
06-30-2015, 07:12 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
But you'll need a "her" goat (doe or Nanny) for the milking.
Quibbling over minor points again are you?

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote

See the picture above for the technique, notice the remote in my left hand.

And , don't encourage Kerrodown, he's bad enough already.
06-30-2015, 07:39 AM   #28
PEG Gallery Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Your just not quick enough on your feet for monopod selfies like Norm.

Well at least I got something right today then.
06-30-2015, 01:44 PM   #29
PEG Gallery Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

don't encourage Kerrodown
Hey... when you get to my age, you need all the encouragement you can get.
06-30-2015, 02:11 PM   #30
Pentaxian

Original Poster
At my age I need someone to encourage me to sit still, so I don't hurt myself moving.