Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
9 Likes  #1
DIY-the-forum-may-never-be-the-same
Lens: DA 10-17 fisheye Camera: K-3 Photo Location: My back yard ISO: 200 
Posted By: normhead, 06-24-2015, 10:38 AM

So, we can't go anywhere like the park because Tess is painting the roof, and she wanted a picture of herself up there. Being the resident photographer in charge of documentary images , I of course felt obligated to get out my gear...

After taking the image I was walking around the yard throwing the ball to the dogs when I saw a little toad. I ran in the house and got the Tamron 90 macro with the 1.4 converter, but, I couldn't get close enough to the little guy. ( I was even wearing my camo T-shirt, what gives?) After a number of brutal attempts, I was even considering setting up my blind, when I had a brilliant idea. "Mount the camera on my monopod and shoot in live view with the remote.... I can get the camera close, without being close to the toad, because I seem to scare him." Ya, ya, I scare lots of people, no need to go on about it...

I went and got my remote , which didn't work.. must be out of battery and was about to give up, when I thought. "Didn't I win a remote for being the most obnoxious poster of the day (or something like that) a while ago? I'm sure Adam sent me one." SO scramble scramble dig , dig, I found an un-opened remote in the camera cabinet.. Thank you Adam. And my method worked. This little guy is about twice the size of your thumb nail.

Well I had the Tamron on the K-3, mounted on the mono-pod, so of course there had to be at least one garden flower image...

Yesterday I was doing Fisheye images of the dogs....

And I thought, "I wonder if I put the fisheye on the camera and used the monopod and remote to stick the camera in their faces could I get even closer images..."

And then out of the blue, the thought came to me "SELFIE STICK... OH NOOOOOOOOOOO"
The "oh no" part came with the realization that I now had the ability to flood the internet with images of me, and that with great power comes great responsibility. I don't know if I'm ready, or worthy. I just know that fate has put this great power into my hands for better or worse, and that the universe is unfolding as it should.

Selfie at 15mm

Selfie at 10mm

I've always considered one of the advantages of me being the photographer was that I'm not in the pictures. I can't guarantee that in the future that will be the case. You've been warned... be afraid... be very afraid.

The forum may never be the same again.

Last edited by normhead; 06-24-2015 at 04:25 PM.
Views: 3,243
06-24-2015, 11:07 AM - 1 Like   #2

Awesome photos. The flower shot looks like there are lights in the flowers! I trust Tess didn't paint herself into a corner.
06-24-2015, 11:09 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You had a very interesting day.
06-24-2015, 11:11 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Awesome photos. The flower shot looks like there are lights in the flowers!
Some would consider that blown out high lights, but I see what you're saying...

I'll have to try doing that on purpose some time.

---------- Post added 06-24-15 at 02:13 PM ----------
QuoteOriginally posted by Rimfiredude Quote
You had a very interesting day.
Ya, living in my mind definitely isn't for everyone.

But I enjoy it.

Last edited by normhead; 06-24-2015 at 11:56 AM.
06-24-2015, 11:45 AM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Wow, the new Norm Selfie Forum.
06-24-2015, 11:49 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Are you my first subscriber?.. it's your big chance to get in on the ground floor.

If the Norm Selfie Forum needs a moderator, can I contact you?

We can't tolerate people saying disrespectful things about Norm Selfies.

Last edited by normhead; 06-24-2015 at 11:57 AM.
06-24-2015, 11:58 AM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Are you my first subscriber?
What an honour.

it's your big chance to get in on the ground floor
I'm here gagging for it.

If the Norm Selfie Forum needs a moderator, can I contact you?
Dunno on that, depends who the boss admins gonna be, if it's the lovely Tess count me in.

06-24-2015, 12:02 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for making me smile Norm, enjoyed your post!
... and thanks for convincing me that a selfie-stick will never make it on my shopping list
06-24-2015, 12:14 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by volley Quote
Thanks for making me smile Norm, enjoyed your post!
... and thanks for convincing me that a selfie-stick will never make it on my shopping list
Geeze, I thought after this , everyone would want one.

I just bought stock in the company that makes my monopods. I hope I don't have to sell at a loss.

Last edited by normhead; 06-24-2015 at 12:33 PM.
06-24-2015, 06:32 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
If you guys actually start the forum, I would be interested in reading a post titled - Selfie Tips & Tricks for Folks with Handsome Noses!

BTW, I just added 'Selfie' to my Kindle dictionary in eager anticipation of the forum launch.
06-24-2015, 07:29 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Inexorable Quote
If you guys actually start the forum, I would be interested in reading a post titled - Selfie Tips & Tricks for Folks with Handsome Noses!

BTW, I just added 'Selfie' to my Kindle dictionary in eager anticipation of the forum launch.
Just for your healths sake, don't hold you breath waiting.

Or to put it another way... ya, we'll get right on it.
06-24-2015, 11:34 PM   #12
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Inexorable Quote
Selfie Tips & Tricks for Folks with Handsome Noses!
Interesting thread that would be.

I guess the answer would be... no wide angle lenses and the need to go and have your arms surgically extended. These can then be used in conjunction with extra long selfie sticks. Thus to allowing for more pleasing longer focal lengths to be used.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 06-25-2015 at 03:46 PM.
06-24-2015, 11:35 PM   #13
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

we'll get right on it
We await with interest...
06-25-2015, 01:47 PM   #14

Fisheyed dogs, 3 toed toads, chick on a hot tin roof, best blooming garden, photographer selfies, are you sure you haven't missed something ??????

Last edited by originalwinger; 06-27-2015 at 01:42 PM.
06-25-2015, 02:02 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by originalwinger Quote
Fisheyed dogs, 3 toed toads, chick on a hot tin roof, best blooming garden, photographer selfies, are you sure you haven't something ??????
I didn't get a Moose, Fox or Crow shot, I was hoping one would walk through the yard and I could have it in the background in my selfie, but hey, you can't have everything.