Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
You Might Try This???
Lens: Bigma 50-500 Camera: K5IIs Photo Location: Woods of Otis 
Posted By: Rupert, 06-27-2015, 09:09 AM

Some might recall that I installed a "cheater branch" a few weeks ago to get better bokeh on my wildlife shots from through my office glass windows...as I sit in air conditioned comfort out of the high humidity and buzzing mosquitoes outside.

It is not a bad idea, you can position it at the best distance and with a background that will render some decent bokeh as apposed to an ugly tree trunk or other such obstacles ruining your shots.

Here are a few of many of my "cheater" shots. I know this is not "proper" with some of you "naturalists", but remember....I am not a "proper shooter"...I am a cheater! Yes ...I also feed animals, and I know that is "not right" either, but I was hungry once myself and didn't like it. No animals go hungry around here!

It works for handsome squirrels too.......just put a little peanut butter on the cheater branch and they will come back over and over to see if there is more to be found! That's sort of like "double cheating" ...but hey, for a cheater like me, who cares!

You can see where it is screwed into the tree trunk. Looks like an acrobatic squirrel likes it!

Otis claims he can see you viewers through his superior telepathic vision...and some of you need to put some clothes on, you are pretty damn scary sitting there naked! You can see the screw threads in this shot.

Otis also says the cheater branch is good for a nap on a hot afternoon!

Anyhow, you might try this, it is easy to do and might be fun....it is for me!

Best regards!
Rupert the Cheater
Views: 774
06-27-2015, 10:15 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I thought everyone did that.
06-27-2015, 11:37 AM   #3
PJ1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Quite legitimate, I would say. What gets me is animal pics taken in a wildlife reserve or similar (often with all kinds of artificial lighting) passed off as "in the wild". Your animals and birds are just doing what they would normally do - and it looks natural.
06-27-2015, 11:56 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A filter would be cheating then. You achieved great shots...bottom line...and through window pane.

06-27-2015, 12:29 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Not much different than using a hide to take pictures.

They are nice shots.
06-27-2015, 12:34 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

These are great shots. And I like the cheater branch.
06-27-2015, 04:29 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks Rimfiredude-PJ1-plantej-Venom3300 and last but not least Tina!

I appreciate the affirmative comments.....cheating is not all bad, is it!

I'm guessing there are usually about a dozen decent opportunities a day to get a shot on the Cheater Branch.....I don't always get to it fast enough, but do keep an eye out the window on it when I am here. I got these a couple of hours ago.....

I like this one the best...

One fun thing.....you always get a new opportunity to "do better".

Best Regards & Thanks again for the nice comments!
Rupert
06-28-2015, 05:02 PM   #8
Veteran Member

That branch is like a magic wand.

06-28-2015, 11:38 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Love to have a branch like that. And honestly, everybody cheats one way or the other, no problem imo as long as it's getting honest results
06-29-2015, 12:56 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great eye catching detail.............you've excelled in this series.