Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
One down four to go
Posted By: mel, 06-13-2008, 06:33 AM

Here's what I did over the weekend. Just snapshotty kinds of things but meaningful to me as we didn't even know if he was going to make it until right at the last minute.

The ceremony was held in the school's football stadium in the middle of the field, in the middle of the day. It was hot hot hot and about 12billion% humidity. The closest I could get was outside the fence surrounding the track so even if I had a flash for fill , using it would probably have done no good at that distance.

For some kids, I really think the parents ought to get an award at graduation too.

We're looking at the long-haired one in green.

Views: 1,320
06-13-2008, 06:48 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Congratulations Mel, I know what a long road it is to get to this point. You should be very proud.
06-13-2008, 07:06 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Congratulations! I put two through college (complete emphasis on the "I"). It makes me misty eyed when I think of all the lenses and trips that would have paid for.
06-13-2008, 07:29 AM   #4
Veteran Member

You have some great photos here to remember the occasion Mel! I would be very pleased with these if I'd shot them. What lens did you use?
My son who graduated high school this year isn't even going to his ceremony. He is off to an island off Oregon for 10 days instead. We'll be jamming to my oldest son's graduation from Cal Poly SLO with his architecture degree right after we go to my youngest son's closing day ceremonies for baseball. We wouldn't have went to the closing day cermonies but he was selected for an All Star team and that is when they announce it. I can't wait to see his face when his name is called, he's going to be totally surprised!
p.s. your son's hair is almost just like my son who graduated high school this year. At least I have a bit of a visual as to what he might have looked like in his cap and gown.
Thanks for sharing Mel and congratulations to you and your son for this milestone!

06-13-2008, 08:55 AM   #5
mel
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by Techiechick Quote
Congratulations Mel, I know what a long road it is to get to this point. You should be very proud.
Thanks!! Proud yes, but relieved mostly. I know they always say the first one is the toughest but I think that this particular one would have been the toughest regardless of birth order.

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Congratulations! I put two through college (complete emphasis on the "I"). It makes me misty eyed when I think of all the lenses and trips that would have paid for.
Thank you. I get that misty-eyed feeling about lenses and trips everytime I stop at the gas pump.

QuoteOriginally posted by LaRee Quote
You have some great photos here to remember the occasion Mel! I would be very pleased with these if I'd shot them. What lens did you use?
My son who graduated high school this year isn't even going to his ceremony. He is off to an island off Oregon for 10 days instead. We'll be jamming to my oldest son's graduation from Cal Poly SLO with his architecture degree right after we go to my youngest son's closing day ceremonies for baseball. We wouldn't have went to the closing day cermonies but he was selected for an All Star team and that is when they announce it. I can't wait to see his face when his name is called, he's going to be totally surprised!
p.s. your son's hair is almost just like my son who graduated high school this year. At least I have a bit of a visual as to what he might have looked like in his cap and gown.
Thanks for sharing Mel and congratulations to you and your son for this milestone!
Thank you!! I used my trusty ol' Quantaray 70-300, mostly zoomed all the way out or close to it, handheld and leaning on a wobbly chainlink fence that dozens of other people were bouncing on to amuse themselves in the heat.

He didn't want to bother with the ceremony but his grandparents (my parents) flew all the out here from Oregon for the occassion so he kinda had to. It was miserable while it was happening due to the weather conditions but now I'm glad he did so I could get some pictures of it.

Thanks again and congrats to you on your college graduate and baseball allstar (still waiting to see YOUR baseball shots!)

Last edited by mel; 06-13-2008 at 07:32 PM.
06-13-2008, 11:24 AM   #6
Igilligan

congrats to your son

And to you.... mine just graduated from Kindergarten.... only 16 more years!

Nice shots under trying conditions. Some good memories. And some 'oh my' shots when he sees that hair in 20 years... We had some blonde fro's on some of my friends in my graduating class.....
06-13-2008, 11:54 AM   #7
Damn Brit

Congratulations to you and your son Mel. You did a great job considering the conditions.
What college is he planning to go to?
Gary

06-13-2008, 12:21 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Congratulations. You must be proud. I got got my masters degree last month. They scheduled the ceremony for eight in the morning on a mid-week day. Only one who could come would have been my wife, and with both of our work schedules, (and the fact that they wanted almost a hundred bucks just to rent the gown), we passed up the ceremony. That parchment is what really counts. Did you son graduate from high school or college?
06-13-2008, 01:39 PM   #9
mel
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
And to you.... mine just graduated from Kindergarten.... only 16 more years!

Nice shots under trying conditions. Some good memories. And some 'oh my' shots when he sees that hair in 20 years... We had some blonde fro's on some of my friends in my graduating class.....
Thanks.
Kindergarten. Wow. I feel old now. Thanks for that.

As for the hair, his reasoning is this (and these are his words to me): "Look at your dad and your brother mom! They are both bald! Let me enjoy my hair while I still have it!"

Hard to argue with that.

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Congratulations to you and your son Mel. You did a great job considering the conditions.
What college is he planning to go to?
Gary
Thanks. Great job on the kid or the shots? Both were tough conditions!

College? Hahahahaha! Oh, you were serious? Well, let see. He barely squeaked by high school so we're looking at the local community college for a couple years so he can transfer elsewhere when or if he ever decides to get serious. Or if he doesn't, we aren't out nearly so much money as we could have been otherwise. He's still only 17 though. I'll give him another year to figure things out a bit.

QuoteOriginally posted by volosong Quote
Congratulations. You must be proud. I got got my masters degree last month. They scheduled the ceremony for eight in the morning on a mid-week day. Only one who could come would have been my wife, and with both of our work schedules, (and the fact that they wanted almost a hundred bucks just to rent the gown), we passed up the ceremony. That parchment is what really counts. Did you son graduate from high school or college?
High school. Barely.
Congrats on your masters. I didn't go to the ceremony for my master's years ago either.
06-13-2008, 03:41 PM   #10
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote

Thanks. Great job on the kid or the shots? Both were tough conditions!

College? Hahahahaha! Oh, you were serious? Well, let see. He barely squeaked by high school so we're looking at the local community college for a couple years so he can transfer elsewhere when or if he ever decides to get serious. Or if he doesn't, we aren't out nearly so much money as we could have been otherwise. He's still only 17 though. I'll give him another year to figure things out a bit.
I actually did mean both Mel. As for college, School of Life is the best place to learn especially with dedicated parents (which I'm sure you are) to act as guides.
Gary