Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
Testing the Glacial Waters
Lens: Smc PENTAX-DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL [IF] SDM Camera: PENTAX K-3 II Photo Location: Mt. Baker, Cascade Range ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F5 
Posted By: plantej, 06-28-2015, 04:31 PM

First post a bit scary. A new found respect to the veterans of this sort of thing. So this is a test but wanted to share an Alpine view. Any suggestions as to how you think I could have made this better, fire away. I need the help testing the waters.[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added 06-28-15 at 05:08 PM ----------

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 

Last edited by plantej; 06-30-2015 at 09:04 AM. Reason: Figure out the uploading process finally. Same detail as original.
Views: 1,062
06-28-2015, 05:14 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Slowing the Shutter

Practicing the uploading process once more.

---------- Post added 06-28-15 at 05:17 PM ----------

Hmmmm. This time no down sizing and it remained as the original. Sharper upload.

---------- Post added 06-28-15 at 05:27 PM ----------

I think I got the uploading to retain original sharpness. So now it's down to my shooting. I know there is another critiquing page but please comment/suggest at will. The learning curve is long and winding.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
06-28-2015, 05:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Nice shots of beautiful country! The last is my favorite by far, though--you might want to explore how different crops affect the picture: a "square" or 4/3 ratio might provide an interesting composition.
06-28-2015, 05:59 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CreationBear Quote
Nice shots of beautiful country! The last is my favorite by far, though--you might want to explore how different crops affect the picture: a "square" or 4/3 ratio might provide an interesting composition.
Thanks. I have sooo much to learn. I've yet to play with a program like photo shop. But baby steps.

06-28-2015, 06:14 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by plantej Quote
But baby steps

Ha, you and me both! One thing to remember is that you're operating in a pretty challenging environment when it comes to photography--be patient as your processing skills come on-line...you'll probably have more "keepers" than you realize.
06-29-2015, 03:00 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Quite beautiful shots. Thanks for sharing.
06-29-2015, 03:12 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Gorgeous! Dunno what you've done as far as post-processing, but the first shot seems to be to be a bit heavy-handed on saturation, i'd bring that back a bit, and maybe cool down the image slightly. Otherwise, fantastic shots, great composition!

06-29-2015, 07:36 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CreationBear Quote
Ha, you and me both! One thing to remember is that you're operating in a pretty challenging environment when it comes to photography--be patient as your processing skills come on-line...you'll probably have more "keepers" than you realize.
Encouraging remarks thanks.

---------- Post added 06-29-15 at 07:37 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Quite beautiful shots. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks.

---------- Post added 06-29-15 at 07:48 AM ----------

I usually saturate a bit with my K5ll but with this camera only AWB and set to landscape mode in menu. Same setting with other two. I have very limited post editing skills other than Photo Gallery's tweaking. In this case no changes made but I agree it could use some cooling. Thanks so much for your time and comment.
06-29-2015, 08:19 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very nice shots and once you get the hang off post processing they will move towards stunning still learning myself and for that this is a great place to be. Last shot is well balanced imo, The other two as said little tweaking the darks and saturation.
06-29-2015, 09:31 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Carpon Quote
Very nice shots and once you get the hang off post processing they will move towards stunning still learning myself and for that this is a great place to be. Last shot is well balanced imo, The other two as said little tweaking the darks and saturation.
Thanks for the suggestions.
06-30-2015, 08:47 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ZoeB Quote
Gorgeous! Dunno what you've done as far as post-processing, but the first shot seems to be to be a bit heavy-handed on saturation, i'd bring that back a bit, and maybe cool down the image slightly. Otherwise, fantastic shots, great composition!
Thank you ZoeB for your reply it was helpful and will file it away for future use. I accidently posted this somewhere else. lol "I usually saturate a bit with my K5ll but with this camera only AWB and set to landscape mode in menu. Same setting with other two. I have very limited post editing skills other than Photo Gallery's tweaking. In this case no changes made but I agree it could use some cooling. Thanks so much for your time and comment."

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/298590-landscape-test...#ixzz3eYtqAzzQ

Last edited by plantej; 06-30-2015 at 09:03 AM.
06-30-2015, 09:33 AM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
A Cooling Down

As suggested in thread.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo