Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Vacation in the Smoky Mountains (Black and White) -- Part 1
Photo Location: Gatlinburg, TN 
Posted By: Rondec, 06-29-2015, 03:24 AM

We got back from a trip to Gatlinburg. We have a three month old in our home now, which means that we didn't do as much as maybe sometimes we would, but we still managed to get to a number of different things. It's hard to know how to divide them up, but I think this first section will be things we did around Gatlinburg and maybe a second part focused on things in the Smoky Mountain National Park.

The first day we were there, we went to a Titanic Museum. Kind of the strange thing is that they did not allow any photography of any kind inside. Not sure if they were afraid of not selling as many post cards, or of me setting up a competing museum across the street...

Observation Tower (we didn't go up in it).

Activity Books...

Monkey always travels with us. He's about eight years old and looking quite the worse for wear...

We went to the Aquarium of the Smokies.

My kids tried their hand at mini golf, which didn't go so well. I know Tiger Woods was sinking putts when he was four, but it's not happening in my family...

Sunrise Over Gatlinburg.

...and a view of Gatlinburg at dawn from one of the overlooks.

I know that's a lot of photos and hope it doesn't seem too overwhelming. I'm pretty bad at picking out the best photos to share, they all seem equally good (and bad) to me.
Views: 734
06-29-2015, 04:17 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Wonderful shots--I think those portraits of your kids will stay special over the years. Otherwise, we've established that you're a much braver man than I am...given a choice between sitting in traffic or strapping on a pack and busting it over Leconte, I'm going to take the latter every time.
06-29-2015, 08:51 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Really like the sunrise over Gatlinburg one, really good comp. Fun town and Pigeon Forge is too. Used to live in Monroe Co. I miss the small brooks or "branches" as they call them down yonder. The photo after is cool with the wild sky. Enjoyed!
06-29-2015, 03:00 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CreationBear Quote
Wonderful shots--I think those portraits of your kids will stay special over the years. Otherwise, we've established that you're a much braver man than I am...given a choice between sitting in traffic or strapping on a pack and busting it over Leconte, I'm going to take the latter every time.
Thanks. I would really prefer to be hiking myself, but having a 3 month old, 4 year old, 6 year old and 8 year old in-tow some how puts a damper on things. But I did manage to get out into the mountains a little bit.

QuoteOriginally posted by plantej Quote
Really like the sunrise over Gatlinburg one, really good comp. Fun town and Pigeon Forge is too. Used to live in Monroe Co. I miss the small brooks or "branches" as they call them down yonder. The photo after is cool with the wild sky. Enjoyed!
Thank you. We had a lot of fun.

06-30-2015, 03:13 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Well done with the b/w, enjoyed them very much. I'm amazed that you had that much time to shoot with 4 really nice looking children in tow. That's a handful, especially with a new born. My wife is always saying, "aren't you through yet"?
06-30-2015, 03:21 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A very good story telling series..............................
07-01-2015, 01:28 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've enjoyed all the wonderful B&W photos in your various Smokies postings - great stuff, indeed.

Jer
07-01-2015, 01:38 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Why a Titanic museum in the Smoky Mountains?
As usual some first class photos.

07-02-2015, 03:54 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
Well done with the b/w, enjoyed them very much. I'm amazed that you had that much time to shoot with 4 really nice looking children in tow. That's a handful, especially with a new born. My wife is always saying, "aren't you through yet"?
Thank you. I try to grab photos as we go and hopefully not take too much time. For landscape shots, I wake up early in the morning before the others are up and go out and shoot at my leisure.

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
A very good story telling series..............................
Thank you.

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
I've enjoyed all the wonderful B&W photos in your various Smokies postings - great stuff, indeed.

Jer
Thanks.

QuoteOriginally posted by mohb Quote
Why a Titanic museum in the Smoky Mountains?
As usual some first class photos.
Thank you. There is a Titanic Museum in Branson too. Pigeon Forge has a lot of tourist type attractions - wax museums, Titanic museum, lots of stuff to get the wallets out of visitors pockets.